The Fleet Arrives

DavidDavid Member

[USS Hephaestion - NCC-42275]
[Deck 01 - Main Bridge]
[Day 01 - 0830 Hours]

The Hephaestion was an antique when then-Captain Knox had commanded her during the Dominion War, but as his flagship in 2399, Vice Admiral Knox's ship was a relic. A beautiful relic, but still something far less advanced than his peers of similar rank preferred. He'd turned down a number of other more modern ships, partially because he thought it was a waste of resources to assign a top-of-the-line ship to move him from meeting to meeting, but mostly because of his own attachment to his first command. After having been pulled out of mothballs, the Excelsior-class ship had been modernized and operated with a slimmed-down crew, and she was still capable of turning a few heads with her graceful lines and classic design.

"Secure from warp, Admiral," the conn officer reported. A Grazerite, she was fresh out of the Academy and their journey from Earth to Starbase 4 was her first real assignment.

"Very good. Hold a relative position at 35,000 kilometers from the station. No need to get closer to that mess than we absolutely have to," Knox replied. "Any last bits of intelligence on what we're going to see down there, Captain Bancroft?" he asked, smiling as he turned in the command chair to look at Captains Bancroft and Kennedy. Technically, Captain Kennedy was the commanding officer of the Hephaestion, but given that the bridge only had one command seat, he'd graciously given the Admiral the conn. He and the admiral's chief of staff were standing at the rear of the bridge.

"I just got an information packet from the commodore's office... They're offering an hour of holodeck time for command-grade officers to share quarters for the duration of the event," Bancroft replied, reading off of his holo display. "So on top of inviting every captain in the fleet to the vipers' nest, they'll also be irritated."

Knox chuckled. "Remind me to send Belvedere next time. I've heard he thrives in the vipers' nest," he said, as he looked at Kennedy. Knox had spent the vast majority of his career on the bridge of a starship, and he would have gladly traded places in that moment. "Lucky you to get to run drills while we're away, Captain. We might as well get this over with."

"I'll try not to be too excited out of respect, Admiral," the ship's captain said, grinning as they traded places. "Try not to have too much fun down there, sir."

A post by

Vice Admiral Jonathan Knox
Commander, Task Force 38
Director, Delta Exploration Initiative

Captain Brooks Kennedy
Commanding Officer, USS Hephaestion

Captain Marcus Bancroft
Chief of Staff to Admiral Knox

Comments

• ThraceThrace Member, Moderator, Admiralty

USS Excelsior NCC 2000-D
    Deck 1, Observation Lounge
    0845 Hours - Day 1

Kara had commandeered the Excelsiors observation lounge for Juliet and herself to work and finish off their briefings enroute to Starbase Bravo. Roman had joined them for breakfast as they were approaching Bravo on impulse power. Kara had just finished reading through the briefing packet she had received from Commodore Becketts office. “Have you seen this attendance list?” she asked the room in general, a hint of stress coming through in her voice.

Roman had been reading the same briefing pack and knew exactly the point Kara was trying to make. One of the many things he loved about his new wife was her confidence in making decisions, commanding a presence within a small group and her self doubt in public speaking, it was the later than was showing now and Roman couldn't help himself from smiling “You have been, both been planning for this for months, thats alot longer than we have been married and look how well you did on that day”

Juliet remembered the day, having been a guest at their special day. Both were stressed and nervous, like anyone would be, but Roman was right. The day went amazingly, at least from an outsider perspective.

“It is quite the list,” she agreed. “Basically everyone who commands a ship, or could soon command a ship, in the entire Fourth Fleet. People are making the journey all the way from the Delta Quadrant to participate. It’s perfect. There’s no better way to get important messages to all of them at once.” And Juliet knew all too well how much of the real business happened not in the briefings, but the receptions and other side events, where people truly spoke their minds.

Kara shot Juliet a few daggers across the table in jest as she lightly tossed the padd she had been reading onto the long observation lounge table, quickly swiped her hand through the holo screens for dramatic affect “If it's that perfect, Im happy for you to do all the briefings Juliet, I can't actually think of anything worse” Rising away from the desk and heading for the large windows at the back of the room, Kara kept up the theatrics “God, what time is it, I could do with a drink”

Roman approached her from behind to bring her in close, not minding how personal they were in front of Juliet, behind closed doors “I’ll have something chilled waiting for you, after the day is over” giving Kara his best cheeky smile. Before Kara could respond the comm systems activated “Bridge to Observation Lounge” It was the voice of Captain Jason Hawk, the Excelsiors Commanding Officer “We have arrived at Starbase Bravo, you ought to see this, outside of Devron, I haven't seen this many ships in the one place since the Dominion War. We can't dock as there isn't any space, Lieutenant Daniels has prepared shuttlecraft ‘Orion’ for us to use”

“Splendid!” Juliet said with a grin. “And for what it’s worth, Admiral, I would gladly do all the presentations. I’ve been doing these my entire career. But the fact of the matter is nobody is as much of an expert on the Romulans as you. I can read speaking notes, but you’ve lived and breathed this subject since before the supernova. You have this.” She tapped her commbadge. “St. Clair to Zhen. Ai, meet us in the main shuttlebay. We leave in fifteen.” Her Yeoman, who had been by her side for almost as long as she wore the Commodore pip, was crucial to Juliet working efficiently during the conference, so much so that when they learned virtually everyone would have a roommate, Juliet arranged to share with Petty Officer Zhen Ai. “Come on, Kara, Roman. Let’s head over there.”

“Urgh, fine but I’m holding you both to that drink later” Kara said as she shrugged off Romans touch and headed for the door at the far side of the observation lounge “at least it won't be a surprise who I’m sharing with, remember the bags dear” she said with a smirk and a light skip through the doors and stepped out onto the massive Sovereign Class bridge “Captain Hawk, are you joining us on the Orion?”

The tall bearded captain of the Excelsior, once Kara’s Executive Officer back on the Deep Space Six, had grown into his role over the last few years with grace, he maintained his youthful and playful look, Kara could never work out if the friendship between Jason and Roman had kept Roman youthful and the guy that embraced life or helped Jason mature into the leader he was today. “I’ll be joining you Admiral, although with Excelsior continuing onto Betazed, I’ve yet to find a bunk mate”

“Oh what fun, Juliet or I will pick you out someone” Kara paused to flash a cheeky grin across to the younger single man across the bridge “suitable”

The Commodore grinned at the Captain and the Admiral. “Oh, yes we will. We will indeed.” She looked out at the viewscreen and almost gasped at the quantity of ships around the Guardian-class station; the same type of facility where they kept their flags. This was indeed one of the largest gatherings since the Dominion War. It was hard not to be impressed.

Still, she smirked and looked back to Kara. “Our station is better,” she quipped. “I hate the colour” Kara replied back laughing a little too loudly as she stepped into the turbolift

A joint post by;
    Vice Admiral Kara Thrace
    Commanding Officer, Task Force 93

Commodore Juliet St.Clair
    Executive Officer, Task Force 93 / Commanding Officer, USS Saturn

Captain Roman Valdez
    Commanding Officer, Devron Fleet Yards

Captain Jason Hawk
    Commanding Officer, USS Excelsior

Vice Admiral Kara Thrace
    Commanding Officer, Task Force 93
    Captain Jason Hawk