USS Relentless

LeahLeah Member
edited November 2020 in Task Force 93

These are the stories of the USS Relentless a Defiant-class starship assigned to Task Force 93, they patrol near Romulan space.

Comments

• LeahLeah Member
    edited November 2020

[A couple of years prior]

“Time to get up Sari!”

Moaning she turned around facing away from the voice that called her name, she stayed up way too late to be bothered this early in the morning. “It is almost noon, it is time to get up!” The voice replied again this time placing a hand on her left shoulder and gently shaking her a bit.

“Why…” Sari replied as she just laid there, trying to ignore his attempts at waking her. “Can I just have one day to sleep in, is that too hard to ask?”

“Well, you already slept in now it’s time to get up we have a couple more days of vacation before our reassignments and I want to spend the time we have left together.” He replied as he reached over gently kissing her on the forehead as she sighed turning around to face him. “Only two days left?” replying as she opened up her eyes to look at her now-husband Tajir Derohl a joined Trill. After getting married a few days prior they just had little time left of their honeymoon.

“Since you put it that way…” she replied sitting up after kissing him, “what are your plans?” She asked as she knew he had plans for about everything whereas she was more spontaneous and just went with what she saw or heard of instead of planning things out as Tajir did.

“There is so much to do on Risa, we still haven’t been to the beach since we got here.”

“Ya well I wonder who’s fault that is mister planner,” she teased getting out of bed stumbling out into the living area. She was hungry, so she decided to grab something to eat. “Not so fast, we do have a reservation to the nearby restaurant,” Tajir replied looking at her. “At least let me get something to tide me over I am starving,” Sari replied looking at him for a moment before proceeding to grab a snack to calm her growling stomach.

Rolling his eyes, “fine” he replied as he walked back into the bedroom and got dressed. A short time later Sari joined him and got dressed as well. After finishing getting dressed, walking back out into the living room she saw Tajir “I am ready…” she started right when the computer beeped alerting her to a message. “Now what? Do people know where on our honeymoon?” she asked even though she didn’t expect a response back.

Tajir shrugged as Sari walked towards the computer turning it on to read the message that was addressed to both of them. “Well, we got our assignments and surprising on the same ship.” She said as she read on expecting to be the Executive Officer, though her eyes widened with almost confusion. “What my love?” came the reply from Tajir as he cocked his head at her confused look.

“I am going to be the Commanding Officer of the USS Relentless a Defiant-class starship that is assigned to Task Force 9 in the Alpha Quadrant.” Sari replied looking up at him, “at the rank of Commander…” she said at the sudden promotion, “you will be the Chief Engineering Officer aboard the same ship.” She added as she finished reading, “the ship will be arriving the day after tomorrow,” she added after closing the message and turning the computer off.

“Well, congratulations my love,” Tajir said with a smile as he walked up to her embarrassing her with a kiss. “You will do great,” he added before turning towards the door. “Now, let’s go eat this is worth celebrating as well.”

They both walked out of their suite at the Risian hotel and headed for the restaurant. Once arriving they walked in, just as with the rest of Risa the restaurant was beautiful pictures and artifacts placed in unique areas. “It seems the Risian’s know how to decorate,” Sari said looking at Tajir who nodded in return as a Risian waiter came up to them with a smile.

“Come right this way,” the waiter replied as he lead them to their table, upon arriving they both took their seats and began to look at the menu. They ordered their food once they found what caught their eye which was surprising it was the same meal.

They would spend the next hour chatting and eating, once finished they headed to the beach to have some fun in the sun. Here they would spend most of the day, while not all at the beach they would find different activities to do. Spending the next two days before the arrival of the USS Relentless.

It was a beautiful day outside, the sun gently shown threw the window as Sari turned over to open her eyes. She noticed Tajir wasn’t there, she laid there for a few more moments as she looked out the bedroom window. The Relentless would be arriving in a few hours, sitting up she sighed as her husband walked into the bedroom carrying a tray. “Good morning sunshine,” he replied walking up to her setting the tray onto her lap. “Figured I bring you breakfast in bed on our last few hours here on Risa, who knows when I’ll be able to do that again,” Tajir replied kissing her on the forehead as she smiled as she enjoyed the little things he did to make her happy.

Taking a bite, “I wish we didn’t have to leave today it seemed our honeymoon went rather fast.” Sari replied as she chewed her food looking at him then back out the window to see the beautiful sunrise that was just finishing. “It’s too beautiful here to leave,” she added looking back at her husband before taking another bite of her food which was delicious.

“I know,” Tajir replied as he got back up headed back towards the kitchen area to grab his food before returning to join his wife. “But, we still have a few more hours before the Relentless is due to arrive.” He began before taking a bite of his food, “we can take one last stroll on the beach as I have already had our things ready to go.” He said looking at her with a smile.

“That would be wonderful,” Sari replied as she finished her breakfast.

After they were finished Tajir took the dishes back to the kitchen and placed them back in the replicator for recycling. Sari got up, walked over to the window to look out for a moment before she went and got dressed.

Once ready they made their way out of the hotel and headed down towards the beach where they would spend the next few hours. Though Risa had weather controls due to the nature of Risa and how without them in place Risa’s natural weather was of constant rain and storms. There was a slight breeze that moved through Sari’s hair, the sun shown brightly glistening off the surface of the water.

They received word that the Relentless had arrived in orbit, looking at Tajir with a sigh as she didn’t want to leave but knew it was time. “We better head back to get our things,” Sair replied as he nodded in response, they headed back grabbed their things then headed to the transporter site where they would beam up to the ship.

Looking around one last time as she knew it probably be a long time before they would be able to return. Tapping her combadge, “two to beam aboard.” Sari replied to the Relentless and a few moments later they disappeared from the planet, then reappearing on the transporter padd onboard the Relentless.

“Welcome aboard the Relentless,” came the reply from her Executive Officer “I am Lieutenant Commander Makayla Adams.” She replied as she extended her hand towards Sari who took it in return. “Thank you, Commander” Sari replied as they headed out of the transporter room. Makayla would show them to their quarters, meanwhile, the ship departed from Risa and began its journey towards the Deneb Sector of space.

“Here are your quarters, I’ll let you two get settled in we have orders to head towards the Deneb Sector as we will be patrolling that area,” Adams replied handing her a padd with the full orders on it. “I’ll be on the bridge, again welcome aboard sir I look forward to serving with you,” Makayla replied as she headed off toward the bridge leaving the two to get settled.

They entered into their quarters which were a decent size for a Defiant-class, different than what she was used to but they would make do with what they have. They noticed that all their belongings were there so they would spend the next few hours unpacking and settling in.

Makayla walked back on the bridge, “so how’s the new Captain?” asked the operations officer out of curiosity. “She seems nice, but will see how she fairs when things get tough.” Adams replied as she took the center chair, “though the Chief Engineer is hot.” Adams replied looking back at the Operations Chief. “I hear there married Makayla,” came the reply from the Chief Science Officer who raised an eyebrow.

“So, doesn’t mean I can’t notice he is hot.” Adams shot back with a laugh while T’Var shook her head and went back to work.

“That is strange that Starfleet would assign both to the same ship, let’s hope that there won’t be any favoritism as it would look bad for everyone.” Simon the Chief Security Officer replied looking up from his console. “Only time will tell,” Adams replied as he had a point but who was she to question the orders of Starfleet.

She looked at the Conn officer at the station, “ETA until we arrive at the Deneb Sector?” She asked as Mirek a Romulan woman looked back at her. “We will arrive in forty-eight hours,” Mirek replied as she turned back around to face her console.

“Wonder what we will find on our patrol, hopefully, something more interesting than we had been doing with the last Captain,” Adams replied as she adjusted in her seat, she was kinda bitter as she wasn’t chosen to be the Relentless’s new Captain. She had been serving aboard her for the past few years as the Executive Officer. “You still mad that Starfleet didn’t choose you?” Mirek responded as her last statement sounded more malice. “Wouldn’t you?” Makayla snapped back, as Mirek just shrugged turning around to face her. “I wouldn’t know, I am satisfied where I am at and have no desire to move up.” Mirek replied, “maybe Starfleet is waiting for the perfect assignment before promoting you, Commander.” Mirek added as she looked at her, “I don’t want another assignment I wanted this ship.” Adams replied as she stood up walking up towards the Lieutenant.

Mirek just shrugged as she turned back around, “Just give the new Captain a shot before shotting her down.” T’Var replied looking at her, “oh I will but doesn’t mean I have to like it.” Adams shot back as she looked out the viewscreen as they traveled at warp. The conversation would continue for a few more moments.

Sari and Tajir had finished unpacking and changed into their uniforms, he kissed his wife before they both decided to head to their perspective departments to check-in. Sari went towards the bridge while Tajir headed towards engineering.

The chatter on the bridge continued until the doors to the turbolift opened and everyone went quiet as Sari walked out onto the bridge. She looked at everyone who was talking now and was quietly staring at her. “As you were,” Sari replied as she got the feeling they were talking about her before she entered.

Looking at Commander Adams, “can I see you in my ready room.” She stated motioning towards the ready room. They both walked in, Sari walked around the desk and sat down. She motioned towards the empty chair in front of her desk, “please have a seat.” Sari ordered as Adams looked at her for a moment before taking the seat.

“What is your problem?” Sari asked bluntly as she could get the feeling there was something the matter with Adams.

“Nothing sir, why you ask?” Adams tried to divert the question, “for one thing if we are to work together, how can I trust my Executive Officer who lies so I suggest that you tell me what is your problem.” Sari sternly replied as she crossed her arms for a moment.

‘She’s smarter than I give her credit for.’ Makayla said in her head before responded, “I should have gotten command of the Relentless after the previous Captain retired sir,” she began as she looked at her before continuing. “I have been serving as her Executive Officer for the past few years. I don’t think it’s fair that they would give her to an outsider when everyone on this crew has served this ship for more than ten years.” Makayla replied giving her what she asked for.

“I see,” Sari replied as she leaned towards her as she knew why she wasn’t picked. “The previous Captain didn’t feel you were ready for Command yet, from his letter to Starfleet,” Sari replied as she handed her the said letter, which she took and read. “Not ready? He’s got to be joking…” She replied looking up from the letter, Sari wasn’t laughing still looking dead serious.

“Wonderful…” Makayla added as she wanted to storm out of the ready room, but then it dawned on her why. She thought back throughout her years aboard the ship, how during tough situations she didn’t always come through or would make the wrong decisions that would jepordize the crew and the ship.

“Oh…” Makayla replied and Sari knew she now understood why she wasn’t picked. “If you want Command now’s the time to show me you can do it without risking others’ lives that were not necessary. She didn’t respond right away, instead, she looked own for a moment in thought. “I know you can be a good officer as you can see in that letter that he does speak very highly of you as a person,” Sari replied looking at her sitting back in her chair.

Adams nodded in response, “I won’t let you down.” She added as her demeanor changed as she was put in her place of sorts. “Sorry sir,” Adams replied looking at her for a moment. “No need to apologize, it’s good to have conversations like this, as it only helps us grow as an officer and as a person,” Sari added with a smile as she stood up for a moment walking over to the replicator.

“Care for a drink?” Sari asked, Adams, shook her head no. She got her drink and returned to her desk. “Now that is over what is the status of the Relentless?” Sari asked getting onto actual business.

She had just received a refit right before she got reassigned to you sir, so she is fully stocked with upgraded systems. With the previous Captain, she was assigned to patrol the Cardassian borders but now she’s been reassigned to the Deneb Sector of space to patrol. We should arrive there within forty-eight hours sir, though Starfleet hasn’t told us exactly what our mission was just that we are assigned there and would start patrols.” Makayla responded as she shifted in the chair as Sari took a drink of her coffee.

“Wonderful,” Sari replied looking at her. “Any staff changes other than the Commanding Officer and Chief Engineer?” She asked looking at the duty roster, “no sir were pretty much the original crew.” She began looking at her before continuing to give insights to the Senior Staff before she would speak to them on a personal level. “Mirek our Conn Officer is a Romulan, she is a good officer but she doesn’t have that much of a personality at least not that we have seen.” Makayla finished, “she does get her work done, she also tends to help out elsewhere when needed.” Adams added before she looked at her.

“Thank you for that, I will be meeting with everyone on a more personal level but I do appreciate you giving me some insight into how they are as to not come in blinded,” Sari added before picking up a padd she started jotting down notes before looking back up.

“Well, that is all I have, for the time being, going to get some work done here before meeting with the rest of the crew,” Sari replied looking at her who just nodded, got up from her chair, and headed out of her office onto the bridge.

“So?” Mirek asked looking at her curiously.

“So what?” Adams responded to her question with a question.

“How is she?” Mirek asked as she shook her head, “do we really have to spell everything out for you Commander?” She added shaking her head as she waited for the answer.

“She is smart,” she replied as Mirek grinned. “More like she could point out your attitude,” Mirek replied grinning as she turned back around facing her console which caused Makayla just to shake her head as the others laughed for a moment before they all went back to work.

Sari sat in her office going over reports, duty rosters as well as other things while Tajir was down in engineering meeting with his team, once he was done he would return to the bridge to take over the engineering station while his assistant worked in engineering.

When he entered everyone looked at him then looked at Adams who kinda smirked as they could see what she saw upon her first meeting. Tajir looked at everyone with a raised eyebrow but just brushed it off and began his work. Mirek got up from her station as if to stretch, walked up to Adams, and whispered “you were right he is hot,” which caused Makayla’s eyes to widen in hopes that Tajir didn’t hear her. Mirek just laughed as she walked towards the replicator to get something to drink as to not look obvious that she just got up to talk to the Commander. After getting her drink she walked back to her station and sat down and monitored their travel.

• [Present]

It was another mundane day aboard the Relentless, they have been patrolling for the last few hours near the Breen and Federation borders. So far nothing has been going on, no comm chatter of any kind. Which was good or bad whichever way they looked at it, sitting in her chair on the bridge just lost in thought staring at the viewscreen in hopes something would change or some excitement would come about.

Letting out a sigh, standing up from the chair she looked around the bridge which wasn’t that big compared to a good majority of starships she had served on previously. Looking at Cynthia, who knew what she was going to ask and just shook her head. “Nothing sir,” she replied before Sari could even ask a question. Over the past couple of years of the crew working together, they knew well enough at times what the others were going to say before being said.

“I’ll be in my office, move towards our next destination as it seems nothing seems to be happening here. Adam’s you have the bridge,” she added before headed off through her ready room doors and coming to her desk. Debating whether or not to grab a coffee or not, it was getting close to the end of the shift but she still had some reports to file before she left.

Before she could walk towards the replicator the door chime sounded, sighing “enter” came her reply turning around to see who it was. “I thought you could use this?” Tajir replied carrying a cup of nice hot coffee as he walked in allowing the doors to close behind him. Smiling, “you read my mind.” Sari replied as she walked over to him taking the cup of coffee, bringing it up to her lips she closed her eyes for a brief moment as she took a sniff and a smile crept up upon her lips before she took a drink.

“You sure do know how to make me happy,” Sari replied looking back at him before setting the coffee on her desk. “Something on your mind?” She asked as she sat down, motioning him to sit as well which he did before she could finish asking him. She chuckled a bit.

“Just worried about you,” Tajir replied taking a sip of his coffee which caused Sari’s eyebrows to lift almost like a Vulcan. “Why do you say that dear?” She asked as she looked at him for a moment. “You just seemed distracted lately,” he added taking a sip of his coffee. She kind of chuckled, “I am fine dear just the patrols are being mundane so far we haven’t found anything useful on our patrols of the Breen, considering their recent surprise attack on Guardian Station it is concerning how they all of a sudden gone quiet.” She said as she looked at him as she adjusted in her seat before taking a sip of her own coffee.

“I know how you feel there, I wonder what they are up to. Was that just a test or is there more to their plan, and what is their next move?” Tajir replied as he sighed, “there is nothing we can do right now other than to keep monitoring them for any changes in movements.” He said, “I would suggest that we check out the ionite nebula, figure out how they were able to travel through there. Maybe we will be able to find something of useful information.” He suggested looking at her, she nodded.

She nodded, “you’re probably right” she replied as she tapped her computer to bring up the coordinates to the ionite nebula and passed it onto the Conn Officer, and had him set course. She ship began to move towards its new destination as she sat back in the seat staring up at the ceiling for a few moments in thought.

Tajir just sat there quietly looking at his wife while she seemed lost in thought not saying much as he sipped his coffee. “Bridge to Captain Mirel, you have a priority one message from Starfleet Command,” Cynthia replied over the comm, ending the moment of silence as Sari moved her head down. She raised an eyebrow wondering what the message was about.

“Patch it through,” Sari replied as a few moments later the message came to her screen. She began to read, Tajir looked at her curious about what she got but waited for her to finish reading the message. After a few moments she finished reading the message, she looked at her husband almost lost for words. “What?” He asked as he leaned forward towards her.

Taking a moment to process the information before responding, “I been promoted to Task Force Executive Officer of Task Force 93, I am to report to Devron Fleet Yards in the old Romulan Neutral Zone.” she responded still in shock and wondering why they choose her. “Wow, congratulations!” Tajir replied happy for his wife, she had worked hard over the past few years handling some pretty tough situations that came her way.

Smiling she tapped her commbadge, “Commander Adams please report to my ready room,” she replied as Tajir was about to get up she held up her hand to stop him. “On my way sir,” came the reply as she ended the channel. “You will need to stay as well,” she replied as Tajir nodded and sat back down. Moments later the doors to her ready room opened and Makayla walked in.

“Please take a seat,” Sari replied as she pointed to the empty chair next to her husband. Makayla nodded and walked over taking a seat as she nodded to Tajir. She began to explain what was going on with Makayla, once she was done she opened her desk drawer and pulled out a box. “Lieutenant Commander Makayla Adams could you stand at attention,” she ordered as she stood up and walked over to the now standing Adams. “You are hereby promoted to the rank of Commander with all the privileges thereof, and given the Command of the USS Relentless as soon as we arrive at Devron Fleet Yards,” she replied as she replaced the hollow pip with the solid one indicating her rank at Commander.

“Wow, thank you, Captain!” Makayla exclaimed with a smile as she felt the pips on her collar.

She then looked at her husband, “unfortunately you will not be accompanying me, you will be promoted to the position of Executive Officer of the Relentless.” She said as she looked at him as she was kind of sad that he wouldn’t be coming with her. They have been serving together since they got married a few years prior. He nodded in response, “understood.” He said as he was sad as well but he knew he would be needed here.

“I have some reports to file,” she began before looking at Makayla. “Have the Relentless set course for Devron Fleet Yards at maximum warp.” She ordered as she walked back over towards her desk and sat down. “Aye sir,” came the reply before they were both dismissed. Sari watched them leave, she sat back for a moment in thought trying to process everything before she began to work on the needed reports before they arrived at the Devron System.