The Archanis Campaign: USS Bonaventure

AnthAnth Member
edited March 2021 in Campaign Operations

The USS Bonaventure is an Arrow-class runabout under the command of Lieutenant Tymon Wrex. She is currently enroute to join USS Ahwahnee's convoy to the Merionia Cluster. The Bonaventure has a crew complement of six officers and fifteen enlisted crew. Below are the established characters that will be mentioned in the stories to unfold below.

CREW ROSTER

COMMISSIONED PERSONNEL

• WREX, Tymon - Lieutenant - Commanding Officer
  • JORAB - Lieutenant JG - Operations Officer / Second-in-Command
  • CORCORAN, Diana - Lieutenant JG - Medical Officer
  • BROMLEY, Clancy - Ensign - Helms Officer
  • GONZALES, Timothy - Ensign - Security/Tactical Officer
  • SEDEK - Ensign - Engineering Officer

ENLISTED PERSONNEL

• CHU, Xypeni -  Chief Petty Officer -  Boatswain
  • GEVR - Chief Petty Officer - Senior Master-At-Arms
  • ANDERSON, Charles - Petty Officer 1st Class - Corpsman
  • HICKS, Daniel - Petty Officer 2nd Class - Corpsman
  • BEVERLY, Nicholas - Petty Officer 3rd Class - Service Technician
  • SCHISLER, Terry - Petty Officer 3rd Class - Master-At-Arms

Comments

• AnthAnth Member

Flight Pre-Check

Lieutenant Tymon Wrex stepped onto the loading plan into the Arrow-type runabout. He should have read the specifications before his arrival to the hangar but got caught up internalizing with the Wrex’s previous host. It wasn’t encouraged for Trills to be joined with symbionts who had been joined with a previous host that had been familiar with but in the former Tymon Lanta’s and the symbionts' case it wasn’t the case. It was an emergency joining and the commission had ruled in favour of Tymon to remain as their host. 

“Lieutenant, welcome aboard.” A voice came from the habitat and services section of the runabout. “I’m Lieutenant JG Jorab. I’m the Operations Officer and will be doubling as your second-in-command.” 

Wrex looked over to the Bolian who already had his hand out for a handshake. Wrex met the Bolian’s hand and the two men shook hands. “Thank you, Mister Jorab. What’s our current status?” 

“Flight Deck is currently doing last minute operation checks to ensure that we have enough supplies and resources for our assignment.” The Bolian gestured towards the operations cabin of the runabout, “I just hope they don’t pack us too full, while we are one of the larger runabouts we are going to be stepping on each other’s toes especially with a complement of twenty crew under your command, sir.” 

“Thank you for the status update,” Wrex replied. “It’s been awhile since I’ve been on a runabout.” 

As they stepped inside the operations cabin another voice interjected into their conversation, “Just like a shuttlecraft, just way bulkier.” 

The Bolian smiled, “That’ll be Ensign Bromley, our helmsman.” The Bolian looked over to the Ensign, “This is Lieutenant Wrex, our CO for our upcoming assignment.” 

“Pleasure to make your acquaintance,” Ensign Bromley responded with a faux English accent.

Tymon raised an eyebrow at the Bolian second-in-command. The Bolian whispering into Tymon’s ear, “He’s an acquired taste. He likes to think he’s a comic moonlighting as a Starfleet Officer-”

“Hey, I heard that!” Bromley exclaimed.

Jorab finished his sentence with, “-but he makes up for it as a terrific pilot.” 

Jorab sat down at his station next to Bromley. 

Bromley looked over, “I didn’t know you were a fan of my flying but I’ve heard you chuckle at a few of my jokes over the past few hours.”

“They weren’t too bad, Ensign.” Jorab tapped a few buttons on his console. He rotated his chair around to face the Lieutenant in which he gestured to the chair centre of the deck, “I was able to make an acquisition request for you, Lieutenant. It’s uncommon for these runabouts to have a centre chair but as I was saying when you were onboarding, I don’t want us to be stepping on each others toes.” 

“I was prepared to take the second operations console,” Wrex replied.

“Of course, you were, sir.” Jorab smiled, “but this is your command and I wanted it to be a slightly more comfortable for the rest of us.” 

“You could always be my relief when I need to hit the head,” Bromley looked over to Jorab who gave him the look, “Sorry, sir.” 

Wrex shook his head, “Don’t worry about it, Ensign. If you cross the line, I’ll tell you.” 

A light lit up on Jorab’s console. He pressed it, “Go ahead Flight Ops.” 

“Pre-checks are all good on our end, Bonaventure. You’re good to go. Goodspeed,” Flight Deck reported. 

“Begin disembarking procedures, Mr. Bromley.”

• AnthAnth Member

The Net Tightens

Felrak had been on the bridge for over 12 hours. Coordinating the convoy’s departure, planning and disseminating information had exposed telltale signs fatigue in the Argosian. Instead of his usual upright posture, he leaned to one side in the captain’s chair. It had been half an hour since the Ahwahnee had gone to warp and as the smeared pinprick specks of stars shot past, Felrak  contemplated sleep. 

“Mr. Tursk,” He called out to his first officer who was busily calibrating sensor output, “how long have you been on shift?”

Tursk turned, “I uh… Must be, since, well I’d say 0700.” 

“Hmm, first check in from all ships is scheduled for 2100. Once that’s complete, we should get some rest.”

“Ah yes, sleep…” Tursk could feel the tiredness in his bones. 

“Captain,” came a voice from the conn, “there’s a ship inbound. Not part of the convoy.”

“Klingons already?” Tursk whipped around, seating himself next to Felrak.

“Sir, it’s Starfleet, looks like a runabout approaching on our heading. Warp 8.8.”

Tursk acknowledged the signal from his controls, “We’re being hailed.” 

USS Bonaventure
    Concurrently 

“Sir,” Ensign Bromley looked over to Tymon, “We are five minutes out from the convoy.” 

“Thank you, Ensign,” Lieutenant Tymon replied. “Open hailing frequencies, Jorab.” 

“Hailing frequencies are open now,” Jorab announced. 

“This is Lieutenant Tymon of the USS Bonaventure,” the Trill reported. 

“Bonaventure, this is Captain Felrak Vordenna, USS Ahwahnee. We read you on a course headed towards the Merionia Cluster. We could greatly use your help with shoring up our forward sensor net.”

So, Commodore L’Eral had not forgotten them. With the Bonaventure strengthening their numbers, Felrak was beginning to feel a lot less vulnerable. Surprises meant death, and not just their own. The aid those ships carried was enough to save countless lives. A single ship slipping through the net would be enough to incinerate their plans, along with the hopes of the colonists who clung on for survival in the hope that someone, somewhere was coming. The more eyes and ears they had out there, the better their chances.

The Lieutenant was pleased to hear the voice of the unfamiliar Ahwahnee’s Captain. The Lieutenant was inexperienced in the command chair himself and looked forward to a hopeful mentorship during their assignment together on the Merionia Cluster convoy. 

“We hear you crystal clear, Ahwahnee.” The Trill Lieutenant spoke, “we will come about within the five minutes to provide whatever support necessary for the Ahwahnee and the convoy.” 

“Acknowledged, position yourself in formation with our forward runabout group. Maintaining position eighteen parsecs from the nearest ship and calibrate your sensors to our resonance frequency. Welcome to the convoy, Lieutenant…?” Felrak trailed off, realising he had neglected basic formalities in his eagerness to get the Bonaventure in position. 

“We acknowledge and will adjust our course to merge with the convoy, thank you sir.” Tymon replied and continued with several orders to his crew, “Ensign Bromley, please lay a course correction to join with the forward runabout group and have us maintain a constant eighteen parsecs from the nearest ship.”

The helmsman nodded his head and laid “Aye, sir.”  Bromley laid in the course correction, “we will be there in less than ten, sir.” 

The Lieutenant was trying hard to impress the Captain of the Ahwahnee that he had a temporary lapse in proper decorum in failing to introduce himself before ordering another command to the Lieutenant Jorab he rose to his feet and faced the viewer apologetically, “I apologize for the late introduction, Captain. I was getting ahead of myself.  I’m Lieutenant Wrex, Lieutenant Tymon Wrex.”

Felrak could understand the man’s distraction. It was a complex operation and a Lieutenant was undoubtedly juggling many responsibilities.  “Not a problem, Mr. Wrex.”

“Thank you sir,” Lieutenant Wrex replied and returned his attention to Lieutenant Jorab with the tasks that Captain Felkrak Vordenna had ordered for completion, “Mister Jorab, please implement the sensor calibrations to match the convoy’s resonance frequency. Let’s relocate additional resources and your personnel to sensor detection.” 

Jorab looked over his shoulder while his fingers traced over his console, “Already working on it, Lieutenant.” 

Felrak could see from the display that the Bonaventure was now ready. 

“Now that sensor coverage is looking a lot healthier.” Commander Tursk nodded, approvingly.

Jorab continued to input the information that the Lieutenant ordered. He looked over his shoulder, “We’re on the convoy’s frequency and additional boat resources are being put towards sensor operations, Lieutenant.”

“Thank you, Mister Jorab,” Tymon replied to his operations officer and then looked back at the viewer, “Anything else, Captain?” 

“Hourly status reports, Lieutenant, and keep close. If we do not hear from the Bonaventure we do not have the resources for a search and rescue mission.” Felrak paused before adding, “Stay vigilant.” 

“Of course, don’t plan on wandering off anywhere, Captain.” 

Felrak admired the Trill’s pluck with a grin as the comm channel closed. The ships cut a swathe through the calm, cold void. Their sensor footprints impossible to hide, their only protection the alertness of their crews to their inevitable meeting with the abomination of D’Ghor. Subspace ripples drifted out from the wake of their engines, particle movements and oscillations grew. The hunters had their scent.

A Joint Post with @Woozamagoo

• AnthAnth Member
    Was I Too Harsh?

Lieutenant Tymon Wrex watched the main viewer switch from the Bajoran Lieutenant Jaril Nihl’s face to the aft view of the Bonaventure. Tymon Lanta wouldn’t have spoken to Lieutenant Jaril Nihl like that. They were equals in rank, it was the Wrex symbiont’s annoyance and irritation that was the cause of their frustration. Wrex looked over to Lieutenant Jorab, “You have the conn, I’m going to grab myself something from the galley. Do you want me to grab you anything?” 

The Bolian shook his head, “No, Lieutenant. Thank you though.” 

Tymon stood up from the center chair on the Arrow-type runabout’s bridge deck. Jorab wasn’t wrong that the bridge was small and was grateful that he set out an area for him on the bridge to not step on anyone’s toes, “You have the con, Mr. Jorab.” 

“Yes sir,” Jorab replied and remained at his duty station. 

Tymon exited the bridge and made his way into the galley. Lieutenant Commander Gracja Wrex reappeared beside him as they made their way to the replicator in the galley, “You seem to be becoming more like Wrex everyday. I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing, Tymon as I know that you’ve tried your hardest to maintain your individuality since you were joined with us.” 

“I wasn’t expecting to cut into Lieutenant Nihl like that,” Tymon replied, “Raktajino, hot. Black.” 

“I remember you used to be a loose leaf tea drinker with two sugars and cream, now look at you. Drinking one of the galaxy’s strongest coffees, black.” 

“Thanks, I hate it.” Tymon said out loud. He realized he had externalized his conversation with Gracja. He looked around to see if any passerbys noticed. Luckily the majority of the crew were either on duty or sleeping. 

Gracja laughed, “I was just about to ask you to order me one but we will both get a caffeine kick.” 

Tymon lifted the mug to his lips and took a sip of his raktajino before looking over to see Gracja had disappeared.

• AnthAnth Member
    The Klingons Are Coming, Sir

Lieutenant Jorab was the sole occupant on the operations deck of the USS Bonaventure. He was scheduled to be relieved to hit his bunk in under thirty minutes. He had been attached to the Bonaventure at Starbase 27 for the past fifteen months. He preferred to be in close quarters compared to the luxuries of a starship, mostly because they were only deployed for a few month stints before heading back to port for resupply and new assignments. 

The Bolian started to hum a tune to himself to keep him awake. Everything was presently being automated with exception with slight course directions and the operational parameters if needed any twinking he would be present for that. Ensign Bromley would be his relief, hopefully on time and perhaps early for once. 

Twenty-five minutes later . . . 

Lieutenant Jorab looked over the sensor data to see if there was any indication of Klingon activity in proximity of their flightpath one of the ships in the convoy would detect them. He brought up the time on his console and then heard some chatter from the runabout’s small galley. 

“Bromley’s awake,” Jorab muttered under his breath before the door swooshed open. 

“Hey, Chief!” Bromley exclaimed while he made his way through the ops deck to his position. “Are you happy I’m here early?” 

“Early?” Jorab shook his head, “you’re on time but you’re never early.” 

“Pretty sure, I’m like thirty-seconds early. Let’s call it a win, please.” Bromley sat down beside him, “you should hit your bunk. I’ve got this. Chief Xypeni will be up on deck soon.” 

“Thank you, Ensign.” Jorab stepped up from his station- 

A voice came over an urgent convoy frequency, “Captain Vordenna to all hands and all ships, the Stravanger has detected three Klingon birds of prey on course identical to our own. Time to intercept: approximately four hours.” 

“Guess I’m not going to my bunk,” Jorab sat down and brought the Bonaventure to red alert, “All hands to their combat stations. Lieutenant Wrex, please report to the bridge.” 

Within a minute the Trill Lieutenant stepped onto the bridge while buttoning up his collar, “Status update, Lieutenant?”

“The Ahwahnee has reported that we have four Klingon Birds of Prey on an intercept course,” Jorab reported.

“Let the Ahwahnee know that the Bonaventure is ready.” Tymon sat down in the command chair, “you look tired, Lieutenant. You should try to get a few hours, I’ll have you woken up in three.” 

“Sir?” Jorab was uncertain about the Lieutenant’s orders. 

“I believe in the Chief’s capabilities while you rest, I need you to be rested up when we go head-to-head with the Klingons and I don’t want you exhausted at your station.” 

“Aye, sir.” Jorab nodded his head as Chief Xypeni entered the operations deck.