USS Vesta

LeahLeah Member
edited February 2021 in Task Force 93

These are the stories of the USS Vesta a Vesta-class Starship assigned to Task Force 93. Captain Makayla Adams is commanding. 

Note: please do not comment on this thread, for stories of this fiction only.

Comments

• [Devron Fleet Yards]

Commander Makayla Adams was sitting in her temporary quarters on Devron Fleet Yards awaiting word on her next assignment as it seems that the Relentless was being decommissioned. She was sad to see the ship she served on for many years going to mothballs. She wondered if she would ever get command of her own, she was almost ready to just give up that dream when her computer chirped.

Raising an eyebrow she stood up and walked to the computer, turning it on she noticed there was a message from Captain Azras Dex, the Task Force Commanding Officer of Task Force 93. She was ordered to report to her office on the double. ‘Great, what have I done now?’ she quietly asked herself as she was alone in the room. She shrugged and headed out of her quarters and headed for Ops.

After a short while, she arrived and headed up towards where the Captain’s office was located. Once she reached the top of the stairs she was greeted by Commander Sari Mirel who was the previous Commander of the Relentless. “Welcome Commander, it is good to see you again,” Sari replied with a big smile as she came over to her.

“Good to see you as well Commander, I see you’re doing well.” She replied as she looked at her. “I was ordered to report to Captain Dex,” Makayla added as she looked at her as Sari nodded with a smile. “Come with me,” Sari replied as she led her to the Captain’s office.

“Captain Dex, Commander Adams is here,” Sari said to Azras who looked up and nodded. “You can go right in, will catch up later,” Sari replied as she walked off in the other direction as she watched her go before heading into the office.

“Please have a seat,” Azras replied as she motioned for the chair in front of her desk. Taking a seat, “thank you for coming so promptly.” Azras replied as she looked at her, “I am sure you’re wondering why I have asked you here. I will get right to the point, we need Commanding Officers and there are very few individuals who are qualified to step in that role.” Azras began as she took a pause watching Makayla’s reactions.

“Your service record as well as what Commander Mirel has said about you, you are ready for that position but.” She began but stopped for a brief moment before she continued her sentence. “There is a bit of a problem with the ship that is open and your rank.” She replied before reaching in her drawer, grabbing out a box before she stood up.

“Now if you could stand at attention,” she ordered as Makayla stood up in a bit of confusion, was she taunting her, or was there something more than what she was saying at that moment. She chooses not to say anything at the moment, not making haste judgment on something that could turn out in her favor.

“Commander, you have served the Relentless with distinction giving it your all. I hereby promote you to the rank of Captain with all the rights and privileges thereof.” Azras replied as she added another pip to her collar. “Congratulations, now that is out of the way we can go into detail of your new command,” Azras replied as she returned to her desk and sat down picking up a padd from her desk.

She handed it to the newly promoted Captain who took a moment to read it, her eyes widened. “ Sir, you’re giving me the USS Vesta? That is a top of the line vessel,” she responded as to think this was some kind of mistake or joke.

“That’s right, she is in need of a Captain and I believe you are the right person for that position. You are to report to Starbase Bravo to meet with the previous Captain to take over Command.” Azras replied, “the Relentless will take you there on its way back to Earth for decommissioning.” Azras added with a smile, “Congratulations Captain.” She added as she extended her hand towards her.

Taking the hand in return, “thank you, sir.” She replied with a smile, after a few more moments she was dismissed and Sari came back “Congratulations Captain, the Relentless is ready for you all your belongings have been transferred back aboard.” Sari replied as they said their goodbyes.

[Starbase Bravo]

A few days had passed and the Relentless finally made it to Starbase Bravo, her belongings were transferred over to the Vesta. After a short walk to the docking bays she noticed the Vesta-class starship sitting in docking bay one, she was mesmerized by the sight of the large ship.

After a while, she made her way inside and headed for the bridge where she was told the previous Captain was located. “Captain on the bridge,” came a reply from one of the crew as she nodded and headed towards the ready room and pressed the door chime, and waited for a response. 

Packing the last of his personal items, Zack looked up at the time on his desktop console and saw that the time told him what he was preparing for all day. The arrival of his successor. 

“Come in.” He answered. 

Stepping into the private cabin, Zack was introduced to the woman who would be taking over as master of the Vesta. “Captain Adams, welcome aboard the Vesta,” Zack said as he extended his hand out towards the much younger officer.

Tugging at her uniform as she walked into the office and looked at the Captain, “thank you, sir.” She replied as she walked up to the desk.

“Vesta is a fine ship and I promise you we’ve left her in a good state for you,” Bennet remarked with the pleasantries. He had never met the woman before but she seemed friendly and worthy of the four pips on her uniform. “I’m informed your previous ship was the Relentless and you were with them for four years? My first command was a Defiant-class ship, the Brewster, their fast and nippy. I promise you after a week of being the Vesta you won't miss the cramped quarters.”

She nodded, “she was a good little ship and I enjoyed working with the crew.” She replied looking at him and chuckled at the last part. “Indeed, the quarters were a bit small.” She replied, “I was a bit surprised that my first command would be such a state of the art ship and a namesake.” She replied looking at him, “but I look forward to the challenge.” She quickly added as she stood there with her hands behind her back.

Smiling at the friendly woman who was taking over from him, Bennet spoke up. “Do you know what your first set of orders will be?”

“I have orders to report back to Devron Fleet Yards first, so I might find out what my first orders are then.” She replied with a smile as she looked at him.

“Well, should we head to the bridge and do the official hand-over? I hope you’re okay with us not doing it in our dress-uniforms?” Bennet asked. 

“That is fine by me,” she replied with a slight chuckle. “They are a bit stiff anyway since they’re not worn too often.” She replied looking at him, she was both nervous and excited to get going with her new crew, though some of them would be transferred from the Relentless while a good majority was going to be new.

Gesturing for her to go ahead of him to leave the ready room, Bennet followed the newly minted captain out onto the bridge.

His first officer, who was standing in the centre of the room called for everyone to come to attention. Present were the entire senior staff, Bennet was pleased that they would all be joining him on the Discovery. 

Approaching the captain’s chair, Bennet turned to face Captain Adams. Smiling again, he cleared his throat and ordered the ship to open a ship-wide communication channel. The standard intercom whistle went off and Bennet’s voice could be heard through every part of the Vesta, a slight echo followed him. “All hands, attention to orders. From Starfleet Headquarters, Office of the Admiralty, to Captain Zachary Alexander Jonas Marshall-Bennet, commanding officer of the U-S-S Vesta. You are hereby requested and required to relinquish command of your vessel to newly-promoted Captain Makayla Adams, formerly of the U-S-S Relentless. Signed, Rear Admiral Aubrey Seagraves, stardate seven-six-zero-three-nine-point-seven.” Pausing to take a breath and looking up from the PADD he had just read from, Bennet gave his clearance. “Computer, transfer all command codes to Captain Adams, authorization Bennet Four-Seven-Alpha-Tango.”

Beeping in acknowledgment, the computer then responded. “Transfer complete. U-S-S Vesta now under command of Captain Makayla Adams.”

Bennet extended his hand out towards Adam to shake it while with the other pass her the PADD.

Shaking his hand and taking command, “you are relieved, sir.” She replied as she smiled as she looked around the bridge for a moment before meeting his gaze once more. “She will be in good hands,” she replied.

“I stand relieved,” Bennet said and after they both finished shaking hands, everyone started to clap. 

That was it. The Vesta was now under the command of Captain Adams. The Bennet chapter had now closed. 

After that was finished the Captain and those that were going with him departed, those that had orders to stay started congratulating her. “She’s a fine ship, she will serve you well Captain.” Came one reply as the officer looked at her with a smile.

“Open a channel to Starbase Bravo,” Adams replied as she took the center seat. “Channel open sir,” came the reply from the operations officer. “Starbase Bravo this is USS Vesta requesting permission to disembark,” She requested. 

“USS Vesta you are clear for departure, save journey.” Came the reply from the docking master before the comm channel had ended.

She looked at the officer stationed at the helm station, “disengage mornings and docking clamps and set us to reverse out of space doors at one-quarter impulse until cleared of the doors. Once clear set course for Devron Fleet Yards at maximum warp.” She replied as the helm officer nodded and began the procedure. The Vesta started to slowly begin to move back towards the space doors.

Standing now watching from one of the viewing galleries in Starbase Bravo, Captain Bennet watched as his former command left the confines of the starbase before it stretched out into the darkness of space and soon left him behind. “Bon voyage.” He whispered before turning to his first officer with a smirk as they went on to start their next assignment. 

The USS Vesta was now on its way to Devron Fleet Yards in hopes to get her first assignment once she arrived.

Joint Mission Post By:

MJ - Captain Bennet

Leah - Captain Adams

• LeahLeah Member
    “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
    - J.K. Rowling

Episode 2: The Aftermath - With the Hunters of D'Ghor gone, turmoil in the Meronia Cluster as Colony's are devastated and in desperate need of aid. The USS Vesta will provide that aid along with a convoy of supply and medical ships. With hope, rebuilding can take place with time.