The Archanis Campaign: USS Tesla - Secretum Fuit Proditor

DarthCrusaderDarthCrusader Member
edited April 2021 in Campaign Operations

The shiny decks of the newly commissioned USS Tesla made Michael’s eyes glisten. He had been thinking about his own ship for a long time, but never figured it would be so soon. Captain Beckett had given him a ship due to the incoming and looming threat of the D’Ghor. Michael rubbed the new pip on his collar and smirked. He was brought back to reality when he reached the Bridge. 

“Captain on the bridge” Lieutenant Dorner the conn officer replied.

The bridge crew snapped to attention and looked at their new commanding officer. Michael nodded at the crew. He had commissioned a new crew for the Nova Class ship. Some he had served within his time and others who had been recommended to him. Ryder picked up the PADD that had the bridge crew’s names on it.

—————————————————————————

Commander Tia Savik - First Officer.

Lieutenant Franklin Dorner - Chief Flight Officer.

Lieutenant Ruvok - Chief Operations Officer.

Lieutenant Commander Riru Sareth  - Chief Engineer.

Lieutenant JG Amanda Kennedy - Chief Security and Tactical Officer

Lieutenant Commander Kra’vaak - Chief Strategic Officer

—————————————————————————

Micheal smiled at the list and looked back at the crew who still had their eyes peeled on him. “Prepare the ship for departure. I want to be ready to depart in 2 hours.“

Michael headed to his ready room and began to plot the ship's mission as it had been briefed to him by the higher echelons. This was his first time taking a ship out on his own though he had spent many years as a tactical officer. If he did come up against hostiles he could hold his own. Every minute that passed added anticipation. 

Michael was still waiting on his First Officer whom he had never met up to this point. “I’ll say one thing I don’t like how she’s taking her sweet old time.” He muttered. If there was one thing he hated it was people not being prompt and on time someone the First Officer would learn. 

First Officer Savik’s stride was long as she made her way down the corridors of the USS Tesla towards Captain Ryder’s ready room. She had not yet made her way to the bridge, but was running late this morning and so had determined to first report to the Captain upon boarding the ship. Her responses to the various greetings she received as she strode down the corridor, were just as short and clipped as her steps, but none took notice as all were on edge that day, each member of the crew bustling around in their individual tasks to prepare the Tesla for departure. Tia chided herself for her tardiness. Perhaps it was nerves or perhaps it was the fact that she had tossed and turned in bed for hours the previous night, unable to sleep as the future meeting with Captain Ryder loomed before her, that had caused her to sleep in later than usual. 

The tension in the air was so palpable that Savik could almost taste it on the tip of her tongue. She hid her nerves behind a mask of confidence, hoping the crew around her would not notice her own self doubt as she attempted to navigate the waters of her new station. Her lack of a long lineage of StarFleet commanders was doubtless to be noted among her peers, but she had trained for this her whole life and she felt equal to the task at hand. Halting at the door to the Captain’s ready room, she activated the door chime and patiently waited for permission to enter. When the doors smoothly slid open to allow her access, she took that as her cue. 

“Officer Savik reporting for orders, Captain,” she announced her arrival with a snap of her heels, standing smartly at attention till Captain Ryder was prepared to acknowledge her. 

Michael looked up at her for a minute and stood walking over to her. “Officer? Are you confused Savik? Your rank is Commander and you should address yourself as such. Also do you make it a custom to be late. You were supposed to be here thirty minutes ago?”

Tia sucked in a quick breath of air as she straightened her posture even more tightly. She had been afraid that running late would cause her to get off on the wrong foot. She knew she would have to work hard to earn her new commander’s favor, but it was a task she was willing to dedicate to. 

Michael went back around his desk and sat motioning for Savik to sit as well. 

“My apologies, Captain. It won’t happen again.” Tia made a mental promise to herself never to allow tardiness to be an issue in the future, and then she moved on from the issue to broach the subject of the ship’s assignment. “And do you wish to discuss the objective for our maiden voyage now, or would you prefer to make the particulars of the mission known to the entire crew at once?”

Michael looked at her again and sighed. “Tia please realize I understand your eager, but you need to take it back a few notches. We need to discuss a few things before we get to point. First off, you're new to a command role am I right? 

“A command role is new to me,” Tia admitted carefully, finding the words a little difficult to voice aloud, “But I certainly aim to live up to the task and follow the training and instruction I received in the Academy as well as the hands-on experience I gained while aboard the Jupiter Station,” she followed up quickly.  

“Ok so then from Officer training what do you recall about being the First Officer? “

“In the CTP I learned the responsibilities and duties of an XO. An XO’s chief duty is to carry out the orders of the CO. Other responsibilities include training, discipline, and management of the personnel. The XO is operationally the ship’s second in command, and as such, it is another primary duty of the First Officer to spearhead away teams so the CO can remain secure on the bridge. An XO is also specifically tasked with performing a sort of checks-and-balances role with the CO.” Tia hoped her almost robotic statement didn’t sound like she had quoted it directly from the CTP guidelines, but she pretty much had. She realized the task ahead would not prove easy, and earning the respect of her CO may prove to be her first difficult hurdle.  

Michael looked at his notes realizing that he may have been premature in his pick. As he was about to say something he caught an eye of the Commanders service record. 

“Well it looks like you know how to hold your own. That's good. Let’s get one thing straight though I am a very calm person and want to get along with everyone, but I have strict guidelines and I expect them to be followed. Is that understood Commander?” Michael looked at Savik awaiting a reply. 

“Understood,” Tia replied without hesitation. “I look forward to growing under your correction and guidance.”

Michael nodded and smiled. “Well then Commander let’s get to business. We have been asked to assess the area that is the Federation space boundary. The Federation has been seeing attacks from the D’Ghor a worthless group of dishonorable Klingons. I always expect trouble, though the Tesla may not be the most powerful ship in the fleet we can put her through the paces. Our exact orders are to be announced to the crew, as this mission must be carried out with the utmost care and urgency.” 

“Understood, Captain.”

“Well if you’re ready Commander, let’s go introduce you to the crew.”

Tia nodded and stood to her feet, prepared to follow him to the bridge. As Michael strode by her Tia released her breath in a short sigh. As a new officer under his command, she surmised that she had much to learn from him, and she hoped to live up to his expectations. As they entered the bridge, every officer quickly stopped what they were doing and snapped to attention. 

Michael looked at the crew and couldn’t help but smile even with the new crew and command he was already proud of them. Michael knew this crew would be a little green, but he planned to fix that, as soon as he possibly could. He wanted to see just what Savik was capable of. 

“You have the bridge XO. I expect the ship ready to embark within the hour. I will be in my ready room if you need me. Once we get underway I will read the orders to the crew.” 

Tia nodded as the Captain relinquished command to her. 

Michael returned the nod and headed back to his ready room. He had a lot of information to review and he wanted to make sure that he wouldn’t be in for any surprises. The Tesla was new to him, but she was used and Ryder was reluctant. He hoped the ship was in the right condition for the trip ahead. 

“You heard the Captain. We need the ship ready to embark within the hour. If there are any immediate concerns or issues, report them to me. Dismissed.” As Tia barked out their dismissal she hoped they did not hear the slight waver in her tone. She was not accustomed to commanding such authority over such an imposing group of individuals as the officers of the Tesla, but she hoped she would prove up to the task. 

Michael originally planned to go back to his ready room, but instead, he decided to go see Kra’vaak, who joined his crew due to their close friendship. Kra’vaak was a Klingon and one who knew Klingon battle strategies better than anyone Michael had ever met. Michael knew he would be in his quarters. Michael didn’t need to knock, but he did after which the door slid open.

“Michael! Aren’t you supposed to be preparing for departure?” Kra’vaak smirked.

Michael shook his head and grinned “Captains prerogative you know.” 

“I mean I can’t argue with that what do you need Captain?” he inquired.

“Well, we are heading for Praxis III and I know that the D’Ghor has had a big presence in that area. I am trying to prepare for the possible ambush. What are the usual tactics they use?”

Kra’vaak looked closely at the Captain and thought for a second. He had heard of Praxis III it was a planet that would never be able to hold a habitable atmosphere, but the gasses in the area around it made for good sensor manipulation and the D’Ghor would use that to their advantage. The Federation had been trying to put sensors in space around the planet, but the gasses interference had made it hard which would be a great place for the D’Ghor to stage. That worried him because the likelihood of an ambush was higher than he would care to admit.

“The usual tactics wouldn’t matter here because they have cover around Praxis III’s the gas there has caused issues for sensors since it was discovered, but they have the element of surprise with cloaking and with no sensors, we would not be able to detect them we would be sitting targs. This situation could be one of the most dangerous you have ever encountered in your career.” he said looking at Michael.

Michael sat there for a second thinking about what he had been told, which was the news he had thought about but did not want to hear. Kra’vaak was his Chief Strategic Officer and Michael knew that his words were true.

“Ok, well I want you to be on the bridge for departure got it, Commander?” Michael usually did not use rank with Kra’vaak, but this was the time it needed to be used.

“Of course Captain!” Kra’vaak responded.

Michael nodded and left heading for the lounge to get a drink, as he now had the real issues that loomed over him as a ship commander. He had always had issues in his time as an officer, but he wasn’t sure what he would do here. He grabbed a cup of tea from the replicator and sit down to drink it. After quick work of the drink, he headed for the bridge.

Preparations for the mission went without incident, and it seemed but moments later when they were ready to depart. Tia was on the bridge with the Chief Engineering Officer, running some final diagnostics to ensure the ship was prepared for its first jump into hyperspace. She glanced up as Captain Ryder entered.

“Captain, we are prepared for departure.”

Michael nodded and took his seat in the Captain’s chair and opened comms to address the crew for the first time, as the ship’s CO. 

“Good Morning crew of the USS Tesla. As you know this is Captain Michael Ryder and I want to thank you all for your hard work in the preparations of departure. I am proud to be captain of such a fine crew and I believe, as we explore the galaxy and look at the Federations interest at heart we will do great things! We are heading for the Praxis III System. The Federation has asked as to survey the planet for any sign of the D’Ghor be prepared for anything! Ryder out.”

Michael looked at Dorner, as Kra’vaak entered and took his post nodding at Michael. “Dorner, take us out and plot a course for Praxis II. Let’s see what the Tesla can do.” 

“Sareth prepare for Maximum warp.” Michael ordered.

“Aye Captain” Sareth answered without hesitation. Sareth had worked with Ryder in the past and knew what he liked to hear so she had gone ahead and prepared the ship for Maximum warp before he asked.

Dorner looked at the Captain and nodded “Aye, Sir plotting a course for Praxis III.” As he began to do that he also was maneuvering the ship out of the docking area. The task was easy, but he was always nervous about the task. He made it out without a scratch and had plotted the course as ordered.

“Course plotted Captain!” Dorner reported.

The phrase he said next was something he had always said and it seemed to fit. “Let’s do it!”

Michael saw the space around him change to shimmering flashes as the ship entered warp. He sit back and had to smile. This was the first time he had ever been able to command the ship to go to warp. IT was a dream that had finally become a reality.

((Short Timeskip))

The USS Tesla’s first launch went off without a hitch. The crew had worked hard to ensure she was prepared for her maiden voyage, and their hard work had paid off. It was smooth sailing for the Nova-class Starship, and the crew began to kick back and relax as the science ship steadily made its way through the galaxy towards its destination. 

Tia was in the laboratories inspecting the science equipment when the first shock wave shook the ship from nose to tail. She did not have to ask what the powerful pulse was that had caused the Tesla to shudder in its course. She was all too familiar with the feeling of a disruptor cannon making contact with a deflector shield, as she had experienced it many times before when the Jupiter station had been under attack. 

She immediately reached out to Captain Ryder on the comms. “Captain, this is Commander Savik. I’m leaving the labs now and headed for the bridge.” As she finished delivering this update she was already halfway out the door.

The ship had just exited warp when it was immediately hit by Disruptor fire. Michael braced himself and calmly ordered for Red Alert. He looked at the screen in front of him. There was a D’Ghor Bird of Prey directly in front of him.

When Tia set foot on the bridge it was not the chaotic scene she had been prepared for, but everyone sat quietly, awaiting the instructions of a calm and composed Michael Ryder. No amount of training could fully prepare you for the feeling you get when you’re actually facing an enemy in battle, but the crew of the Tesla was far more experienced than any of Tia’s previous partners in training exercises, and she took confidence in the knowledge that they could competently handle any situation. 

Michael began to size up the situation and knew that just as he had figured the D’Ghor was not going to let the Federation discover what has been going on in the system. He looked back at Kennedy. 

“Fire at the right dorsal shield if I recall the ships had a slight weak point there.” He had used it on multiple occasions when he was a Tactical and Weapons officer. 

Kennedy nodded and targeted the area of the Bird of Prey, which did nothing to her dismay. “No damage detected Captain.”

Michael realized they had probably fixed that flaw. The Tesla was under attack and Michael had to think of what to do.

To Be Continued….

A joint post between:

Suz- Commander Savik

DarthCrusader - Captain Ryder

Comments

• Savik’s brow furrowed as she stepped forward to stand next to the Captain’s chair. Her brown eyes roved around the bridge, attempting to interpret and process all the information the screens were displaying at once. The engineering station showed no major damage to the Tesla, as the shields had held up well against the enemy onslaught. 

The enemies' tenacity was just as normal as any other encounters that Michael had encountered with the Klingons who fought the Federation. The thing that worried him was the fact that this could be the end of the Tesla if they kept sustaining the firepower from the cruiser. Michael swung around and looked at Ruvok.

“Lieutenant, how are the shields holding?” he asked calmly.

Ruvok’s eyes darted up at the Captain and darted back down to the displays. He was staying calm as most Vulcans are supposed to, but the half-human in him was terrified. He shook his head and sighed “I hate to bear the bad news, Sir, but if they keep firing at this rate we won’t last another twenty minutes.”

Michael nodded and looked at Savik who was trying to get a grasp on the situation, as she was new he was giving her the benefit, but he was hoping she would fall into the role soon. He was hard on her and butted heads with her, but he wanted her to succeed. As Michael’s mind began to wander he snapped back to reality when the bombardment ceased and he watched the Klingon cruiser cloak and disappear. The action immediately put him on high alert that was never a good sign and not something he felt good about.

Michael had been ordered Kennedy to use the skirmish tactic which had done little to no damage on the cruiser. The ships seemed to have been modified to withstand more damage, which was not normal and it seemed like the cruiser knew what the Tesla was going to do before Michael had ordered it, which worried him. That information was not easy to gather as Michael constantly changed his tactics. HE put it in the back of his head, as he heard Dorner’s announcement.

Savik’s eyes flipped to the screen displaying the enemy vessel. She was surprised that the Captain’s tactics had not proved fruitful, fully expecting them to bring the opposing ship down. A slight tension floated down to rest lightly on the shoulders of the Tesla’s commanders. This fight was not going to be so easily won as they had hoped. 

“Captain, we no longer have eyes on the enemy vessel!” Dorner announced with dismay.

Kra’vaak gave a knowing nod with pursed lips. “As I predicted, Captain, the gas around Praxis III is interfering with our sensors and providing them with the perfect camouflage.”

The glance Savik threw at Captain Ryder was a quick one, but it was rather sharp. She knew she should never question a commanding officer, and prayed her own headstrong nature would not take control of her lips as it so often did. She immediately determined to push her issue out of her mind, and hoped it would not resurface at a later time.

Michael nodded and looked at Kra’vaak and Savik “I need you both to meet me in my ready room now.”

He immediately went to his ready room with Kra’vaak and Savik on his tail. He waited till they entered and looked out the small window in his ready room. “This is not good.” he scanned the empty void of space knowing there was either one cruiser or multiple looking towards the ship. “The way they ambushed the ship and knew what I was going to do worries me. I always change my tactics so one attack is never the same as another. There is only one person who knows my trick of books and knows how I react. The Klingons knew just where to hit us to slow us down but not cause significant danger. The Klingons could have torn us apart, but they didn’t instead they flexed their might and left.” He looked at Kra’vaak and nodded “Only one person knows that information and could calculate my every move.”

Kra’vaak’s eyes widened and he shook his head “No that’s not possible...why would she do that...why would she betray Starfleet?”

Ryder nodded as he was wondering the same thing. He hoped with everything in him it wouldn’t be true. He hoped that it was all wrong, but the evidence pointed to the worst possible scenario. In Ryder's many years as a Starfleet officer he worked with chief strategist Commander Michelle Oliver. Oliver was not only smart, but she had learned Ryder’s tactics and studied them to make any test for Michael more difficult than expected. Michael always outwitted her, but she came close. She had a tendency to speak about how she disliked the way the Federation did certain things, but she always seemed loyal to Starfleet. There were two options. She was being forced to do this or she was doing it for her own personal gain, regardless Michael needed to discover what it was. 

“Let’s get back out there, but keep this under wraps for now.” He replied as he headed back onto the bridge. As he looked at the display he ordered Savik. “Prepare for a skirmish. If we are hit your on the bridge as Kra’vaak and I will be taking a shuttle out.” He said firmly, as he did he saw the glance from Savik and gave a disapproving shake of the head. 

Once they were back on the bridge, Ruvok lifted a finger from his right hand to gain their attention as he leaned over the comms, his left hand tightly pressing against his earpiece as he strained to hear any signals. 

“We are detecting a faint signal which seems to be coming from the surface of Praxis III,” Ruvok reported. “It’s no sort of modern communication but seems to be an antiquated form of distress call. Perhaps we caught these raiders as they were just finishing up an attack on a settlement.”

Michael thought for a second back to his past encounters with the Klingons and he remembered a past encounter where the Klingons tried to distract his ship from the real issue. 

“No, do not pursue the signal. I want you to search and refine that signal Ruvok. Let me know what you find out. Commander Savik, my ready room now. 

Yet again Michael had seen Savik try to refuse his command. He didn’t mind her doing that in private however in front of the rest of the crew it did not sit well with him at all. He made his way into the ready room and turned around looking at Savik firmly. 

“What is your problem not listening to my orders XO? Why would you look at me so disapprovingly in front of the rest of the crew? If you have a problem you address that in private. Never question my authority like that. I know you're new, but this can’t happen again, am I understood?”

Savik gave a quick intake of breath as she straightened. “Understood, Captain.” She realized she would have to watch herself closely in the future. 

((Meanwhile on the D’Kara))

The red glow of the normal bird of prey would impose any person, but the glow on the D’Kara was worse. The ship was one of the most dreaded in the D’Ghor’s fleet and its Captain Vilk’on was an imposing figure of a Kligon. Evenhis crew knew not to cross him because he would kill them and replace them before they could utter a word. His black eyes glowing like two lumps of coal below a prominently sharp brow displayed a sort of primal wrath, smouldering with an intensity that would cause most men to go weak in the knees.   

“Have they bought it? Are they landing?” he growled impatiently.

“They don’t seem to have moved just yet. Perhaps the decoy distress signal is too weak,” the seated Kligon speculated. 

“Khoo-vakh!” Vilk’on struck the side of the console with a heavy hand that made his comm’s officer jump. “Would they just fall for the bait.”

The Captain’s First Officer Krassix stepped forward. Not as imposing of a figure as the Captain, he stood a few hands shorter and would have been considered somewhat small for a Klingon. Yet none but the fiercest of the Hunters of D’Ghor would rise to a command position beneath the infamous Captain Valkon, and the crew viewed Krassix with the mixture of fear and respect they showed the Captain. “Can we boost the distress signal?” Krassix suggested.  

“Leave it.” Vilk’on gruffly shut down the question almost before it was finished. “If we alter it now they may grow suspicious. We will simply have to wait and see if they fall for it.”

“If they don’t detect the signal or simply ignore it, we should at least take advantage of their inability to detect us and attack them from the cover of the gas cloud.” The way in which Krassix delivered this suggestion betrayed that it was a tactic which had been brought up before, but had been immediately shut down by the blood thirsty Captain. 

“There is no glory in blasting them out of the sky.” Vilk’on threw his large arms in the air in frustration at this repeated proposal. “We have better things to do.” Before he could finish out ahead of him the Tesla pulled into a maneuver that blocked any warping out of the system. “What is that P’takh doing? Call in the honorable guest.” 

Michelle hated being on a Klingon ship, but the ability to betray the ones who destroyed her life meant more to her than a smartly ship with some bad tempered allies. She was ushered to the bridge and saw on the view screen the newly commissioned USS Tesla under Captain Michae Ryder an old friend. I’m sorry old friend but business is business no matter who it is. 

Vilk’on looked at the small human woman on his bridge, as much as he hated humans he feared her. She had a power about her that scared him and he didn’t want to cross her. “Ms Oliver can you tell me what this Captain is doing parking his ship like that.” 

She looked at the Klingon and nodded “He is blocking you off from any escape. There is gas on both sides of him and that is the only way in or out. He is bottlenecking you.”

Vilk’on snarled “For a wretched Federation P’takh this Captain is a pretty clever one. Is there any way for us to get out of here?”

Michelle shook her head “No unless you want to decloak and fire again, but I wouldn’t put it past Mike to already have found the weaknesses in your new and improved systems. He is much more clever than most give him credit.” 

“Well, what do you recommend we do?” Vilk’on asked impatiently. 

Michelle stopped and looked at the viewscreen. “For now you wait. Let me try something. I will need open comms in my quarters to his ship, but I need you to make it look like I got through security to do so.”

Vilk’on nodded and made sure his men knew the plan. He already knew what she was going to do and it put an evil grin on his face. He took up his mug of bloodwine and finished it before standing up to leave the bridge. 

Vil’kon looked over at Krassix and motioned him over “Take two of the best warriors and go to the point of the distress signal on the ground in case that Captain sends someone to investigate.”

Krassix saluted the Captain in the traditional Klingon way and was off to gather the warriors and head down to the surface to meet any possible enemies.

((On the Tesla))

Michael was weighing his options and currently, those were few and far between he had ordered the ship to block off the only way out of the gas cloud and to make sure no ship or ships could escape. He had ordered the crew to scan for any sign of the ship or others while his chilled tactician was scanning the ship from the engagement for any flaws in the systems. As he continued to work on a contingency plan the last thing he was wanting to think was popping up in his head. Michelle of all people, couldn’t believe it. She had been on many missions with him and he had shared some of his biggest tactics with her. If it was the case that she was behind this he had an enemy that knew his playbook. He smirked well most of it anyways.

Michael had always hidden his biggest secrets and the one he hoped to not have to use. A secret that he had never had to use, but if it came to that point Kra’vaak would be notified. The biggest thing now was to bait the enemy which required someone to go for the distress beacon. He looked over at the Commander perusing through Science records about the area's gas clouds. 

“Savik you will take one master chief and see what the trap is of this distress call. We should be able to mask the launch, but after that, it’s up to you Commander!” 

“Captain,” Savik smartly clicked her heels to stand at attention. “With your permission, should the distress call be genuine I would like to have a doctor accompany us with medical supplies, but should it turn out to be a trap as suspected, I would like to take a few more officers to ensure we will not be outgunned.”

Ryder nodded, she finally made a sensible decision and he was glad she had finally done as a good Commander should. He felt this was going to get out of control and fast, but he wasn’t going to give up easily. 

“Take the doctor and prepare for departure within the next few minutes I expect to hear you headed for the surface.” he commanded.

Ryder was not sure as to what was going on, but he felt uneasy and wanted to make sure that all angles were covered.

Savik nodded her head. “As you command,” she replied. 

To Be Continued….

A joint post between:

Suz- Commander Savik

• Savik fought the urge to chew her knuckle as she so often did when she was wrapped in thought. She was not certain what lay ahead of them, but her ever formulating mind was considering every possible angle and developing a plan. As the doctor boarded the shuttlecraft with his medical bag, Savik addressed Captain Ryder over her comm. 

“Captain, we are aboard the shuttle and prepared for departure.”

Michael was watching the progress of repairs when he heard the voice of his new XO. He smiled in pride of her calm demeanor. He wasn’t going to admit it currently but she was going to shape up into a fine XO, but he couldn’t be too easy on her. 

“Very good XO keep me apprised of the situation.”

Savik nodded to the Master Chief who sat at the controls. “Take us to the ground, Chief,” she ordered. 

Their slow descent began through the cloud of gasses surrounding Praxis III. The Master Chief had locked on to the faint distress signal, and had plotted a course which would have them landing on a hill roughly one mile from the origin of the signal. Savik wished to scope out the area from high ground before they approached the distress call up close. 

The Master Chief skillfully maneuvered the craft through the dense gas, carefully keeping an eye out for any enemy Klingon vessels that may be in their path. Savik observed his expert command of the shuttle with pride. It gave her a sense of satisfaction to know that she was now a member of such a skilled team of individuals. She hoped she would soon be able to prove herself to both her CO and the crew, and show herself to be a valuable and contributing member of the team. To be a respected commanding officer on a ship such as this one was something Savik had always dreamed of, and now the realization was so close she could almost taste it. 

It was only minutes before the Master Chief had gently set the shuttlecraft down on the hilltop, but to Savik it seemed like hours as she ran through all the possible scenarios she could think of. Savik turned to the doctor. 

“Wait in the shuttle till we’ve scoped out the area.” She then turned to the Master Chief. “What is your name, Chief?”

The Chief nodded and pulled up his phaser rifle. John had seen action and he knew not to trust even the safest of landing zones. He hadn’t been under a command like Michael’s, but he had to admit he really liked the ship and well the XO was pretty attractive though he wouldn’t let her know that. “I don’t plan to leave the ship Commander. That’s a good way for enemies to get it.”

Savik gave him a short nod. “I’m glad to have you with me. Scan the area for any other signals that may reveal if this distress call is a clever ruse or a valid cry for help. I’m setting boots on the ground to take a look.”

“Well from what I know of these D’Ghor bastards they will do anything they can to better themselves and kill anyone who stands against them.” He replied scanning the area in front of the shuttle. 

Savik’s lungs filled with a slow intake of breath as the shuttlecraft doors slowly opened with the familiar noise of sliding hydraulics. This would be her first time setting foot on a new planet in her current position as XO of the Tesla, and she hoped to have many more opportunities to explore other worlds. Her sharp eyes scanned the horizon, carefully checking her perimeter as she emerged from the shuttlecraft, her other senses drinking in everything this new planet had to offer. The hot sun beat down on her and a dry wind stroked her skin. In the distance she could see a few dust clouds, but the valley before her was clear. Lifting her binoculars, she scanned the dust bowl below her. What had once been a small village, likely a mining town, lay at the bottom of the basin in ruins. Broken down buildings and protruding structures dotted the barren landscape. Savik could see no sign of life among the debris, but the distress call had to be coming from somewhere. 

“Scanners cannot identify the origin of the signal to determine if it’s a trick or not. I suggest caution Commander.”

Savik nodded her head in agreement. Since the atmospheric gasses were interfering with the scanners, there could be any number of cloaked Klingon vessels hiding nearby, but it could also mean there were refugees in need of help, hiding in the destroyed village below. Savik strode back towards the shuttlecraft to unstrap the hoverbike. 

“I’m going down to investigate more closely. We can’t return without being certain that it’s not a genuine distress call. Cover me from here where you have the high ground.”

Savik twisted the throttle and the bike shot forward, skimming over the sandy terrain to dip down the hill towards the valley. Within moments she had reached what remained of the now desolate village. Seeing no signs of life or movement, she stepped off the bike to advance down what used to be a main street. Checking her comm screen on her left forearm, she could see that she was nearing the source of the distress signal. Glancing up, she could see that the signal was directing her towards a disheveled building, barely holding itself upright. A wooden door precariously hung from one hinge, creaking as it slowly shifted in the wind. 

“This is Commander Savik of the Federation! I’m here to help!” she announced her presence. Any potential enemies would have already known she was there, but she wanted to reassure any possibly hiding refugees of her good intentions. 

The only response was the whistling of the wind through a deserted town. Savik’s eyes narrowed. Her right hand drifted back to rest lightly on the handle of her phaser.  Methodically, she turned her body sideways, presenting a more narrow target for any potential shooters as she advanced on the source of the signal. With slow steps she neared the broken down hovel. The beeping of her comm reached an almost feverish pitch as she reached forward to push open the wooden door. Savik peering into the darkness till her eyes adjusted to the thin beams of light streaming through the numerous cracks and holes in the structure.  

In the center of the room laying in the sand was an old sensor relay emitter, but other than the bygone signal transmitter, the one room building seemed empty. Savik stepped inside, carefully scanning the corners of the room to see if any hidden attacker was lurking in the shadows, but no enemies emerged. The building seemed to be a mostly demolished saloon, with a sagging counter and several knocked over stools and tables. She began to cautiously inspect her surroundings for any tripwires or pressure plates, also searching for a possible entrance to a bunker where potential survivors could be hiding.

Suddenly Savik started, her hand no longer rested on her blaster, but now gripping it tightly. She heard the familiar whirring of a shuttlecraft setting down just outside. Why would the Master Chief pilot the shuttlecraft down here without orders? The hairs on the back of Savik’s neck began to tingle even before the Master Chief hailed her over the comms. 

John perked up and his face flushed. He hadn’t moved the shuttle and that only meant one thing. The D’Ghor had sent someone to close the trap they had set. 

“Well, I guess we’ve successfully established that the distress call was indeed a ruse,” Savik surmised with pursed lips.

Savik was correct. The signal was most certainly a trap, and the trap had closed… with Savik in it. 

As the Klingon shuttle set down Krassik had a huge smile on his face. The Federation had sent a party down and it was perfect practice for Krassiks Bat’leth. He stepped off the shuttle ramp and the dust settled to show an Orion woman standing at the doorway of the building. Krassik signaled and two more Klingons flanked him, all holding a Bat’leth. 

“Surrender, little pig,” the Klingon commander ordered, pointing the tip of his Bat’leth at the federation scum.

“Surrender?” She gave him a tight smile. “To a handful of hairy pugs?” She almost laughed outright. 

Krassik stepped at the top of the small hill and pointed at the Orion. “You Federation pigs always think you're smart well for once you have fallen into our trap and this is where you die.”

Krassik advanced with his Bat’leth in defensive position. It was time for some fun. He signaled the other two Klingons to stay back; this was his prey and he would have fun catching her. Krassik advanced, standing mere feet from the enemy motioning her as if to challenge her. 

Savik’s mind flipped to the katana at her back for a split second as she eyed the blades of the advancing Klingon. Fighting with honor be damned, she thought as she reached for her phaser and flipped it off stun without further hesitation. She fired three quick shots at the Klingon leader and then sprayed a few more at the warriors on either side before ducking back into the broken down building to search for a quick exit out the back. Lifting her comm she hailed the shuttle.

“Master Chief, get down here and provide me with some cover fire!” 

John heard the order and immediately fired up the shuttle and departed in record time towards the XO’s location. He could see the Klingons coming towards her and knew she was in trouble. He touched down on a hill overlooking the city and grabbed the case that was next to his chair. He quickly made his way off the shuttle with the Dr in tow. 

“Dr al-Assad get down there and provide some cover for the Commander. I am going to set my rifle up and provide suppression from the hill.” He ordered. 

He saw the Dr nod and make his way down towards the zone, as he set up his rifle and perched he got the two Klingons hanging back in his scope and fired two shots at their feet. They jumped and began looking around. The hill was perfect cover and with the sun it was impossible to spot John's spot. 

“I am here Commander providing fire from cover. We will make sure this is a fair fight.” 

“You keep the two lackeys pinned down outside,” Savik ordered. “I’ll handle the big guy,” she stated dryly as she poked her head up to observe the Klingon leader advancing towards the building. Savik sprinted to the bar and rolling over the rough wooden countertop she flipped to the other side, crouching in the shadows with her blaster pointed directly on the sagging door. Every hair on her arms stood on end, every muscle in her body tensed, as she waited for the Klingon commander to enter. 

Krassik slowly made his way to the entrance of the building as he stepped at the threshold he could smell the fear of the enemy. He grinned and walked inside slamming his Bat’leth on the wall to intimidate the Starfleet coward. “Hiding from me? Are you scared to fight? Scared this will be the day you die? Why not just come out and make it easy for me.” He taunted. 

Phaser fire was the only response he received. Savik fired a few quick shots from behind the bar before rolling to the other end to spray a few more rounds in the Klingon’s direction, trying to lay down fire from multiple angles. 

“Nothing about this will be easy,” she informed her opponent with a grim set to her jaw. 

(Meanwhile on the USS Tesla)

Michael had watched the shuttle depart and had a pit in his stomach there was something about this situation he did not like. He had been part of multiple engagements, but nothing quite like this one. He had a feeling the D’Ghor were holding a secret and something that could potentially hurt his crew or possibly the entire Federation. 

Michael had pulled up the information about his old friend Michelle Oliver. He was looking through her record to see if there was any indication of her being a part of this attack. He had seen her family had been killed in a Federation attack and he knew this could be a reason for revenge. Michelle had never wanted to hurt the Federation before, but now it could be the case. 

Amanda had been running through the D’Ghor tactics in the system and something seemed off with Vilk’on, as most cases of these attacks ended in no retreat from the D’Ghor. The tactics worried her and she was not about to let them trick her. She thought back to her Texas roots and the way the horses would go into hiding when threatened, but usually it was an entire herd. 

Wait an entire herd...no that can’t be the case. If that’s the case we are in trouble. 

Amanda began to calculate the odds of her calculations and she had a worried look on her face. She was interrupted by Kra’vaak who looked at her with concern. 

“What’s on your mind Lieutenant? You look worried?” He asked. 

Amanda looked up at Kra’vaak and shook her head “I think we are in trouble and I mean big trouble.” 

Kra’vaak looked at her confused and walked over to the console, as he looked at the information on the screen his eyes widened in complete shock and he shook his head. “There’s no way it can’t be. If that’s the case we will need reinforcements.” 

Amanda cocked her head in confusion “What reinforcements?” 

Kra’vaak smiled and winked “That’s the surprise we have up our sleeves.”

Michael had been pouring over all the information when he got a comms alert on his desk PADD. It was encrypted, but it looked like a federation transmission. He paused cautiously before accepting it to see a disheveled face of Michelle Oliver. His eyes must’ve been all the response she needed to hear. 

“Hi Michael, I don’t have much time, but the Klingons captured me. It took me some time to get a message out. They captured me and have been using me to tell them the strategies of the fleet.”

“Michelle, why would you agree to do that? We were trained to keep from betraying the Federation. Why would you do something to endanger the fleet or any of the many friends you have.” 

Michelle thought for a second she had not seen Michael for awhile so if he didn’t know the truth she could lie about why she was doing it. That should get him off her back for now, as they planned to spring the trap. 

“They threatened to kill my family Mike. Wouldn’t you do the same thing if it was for your family?”

Michael had chills running up the back of his neck as he knew she was lying to him. It was time for him to play along. “I understand now and yeah I would always want to protect my family. Michelle what can I do to help?”

Michelle smiled “I’ll let you know when the chance comes. Thanks Mike. I better go before they discover I’ve done this.”

Michael nodded and cut off communications immediately, springing up from his desk and quickly walking out to the bridge. He saw Kra’vaak and Amanda huddled by her console. “What’s going on?”

Amanda jumped as she saw Michael in front of her “We could have an entire D’Ghor fleet hidden here. After looking at the information it’s the only thing that makes sense.” 

Michael rubbed his chin and nodded “I think all this information coupled with the information I just learned calls for trouble.” Michael then explained to the senior crew that Oliver was a traitor to the Federation. 

(Meanwhile on the D’Kara)

Vilk’on was drinking another mug of bloodwine when he heard from Krassik who had reported that he was about to fight the Federation officer. The smile on his face was all he needed. 

He grabbed some Gagh off his plate and showed them into his mouth as the ship's guest knocked on his quarters door. “Enter” he yelled. 

The door opened and he saw Oliver standing there. He motioned her in and offered her some food which she politely declined. The stench of these ships was enough to churn her stomach. She looked around the Captain's cabin and had to stay normal though inside her skin was crawling. The Klingons were a disgusting race, but perfect for her plans. 

“Captain I talked to Ryder as we had planned. And he fell for my story.” 

“Are you sure he doesn’t seem like a fool? Could he have just said that to make you feel like you won.” He asked 

Michelle thought about it but shook her head. He isn’t quite that bright; he always was smart but he never out maneuvered me. She smirked as she tried not to vomit as Vilk’on shoved more Gagh down his mouth. 

“Well if that’s the case we need to figure out a way to get him out of here or destroy him the fleet can’t move until he is dealt with. Do you think he know s about the fleet?”

Michelle thought for a second “How could he? He didn’t see them and they performed perfectly making sure to hide. If we are to be part of the big attack we need to get out of here. In fact without your forces the Federation could win this battle and that’s the lay thing we want.”

Vilk’on nodded and concluded “Well it’s time to squash the bug before us.” He stood up and raised his glass “For honor and glory!”

To Be Continued….

A joint post between:

Suz- Commander Savik

• Savik continued to fire on the advancing Klingon commander, but her skilled opponent seemed to effortlessly dodge the phaser fire as he charged towards her position behind the broken down bar. He was shorter than most Klingon’s she had encountered, but perhaps that’s what enabled him to possess amazingly quick reflexes for a Klingon. Savik spun to her left as his heavy Bat’leth crashed down to sink deep into the rotted wood of the bar where her head had just been. 

“You missed,” she dryly taunted him. 

Krassix snarled as he pulled the Bat’leth out of the bar to prepare to strike his enemy yet again, but as he was about to attack he saw something that he did not expect to occur. He stopped for a moment taken aback by the quick transition of his enemy. He narrowed his eyes and prepared for a vicious attack. 

Leaping over the bar and switching her phaser to her left hand she unseathed her katana and prepared to battle her enemy. A flurry of blows from the heavy bat’leth rained down on Savik. Savik used a changing height approach to offset her enemy’s superior strength. One minute she was spinning across the floor on her knees striking at her opponent’s legs, while the next she used fallen tables and chairs to leap from, raining down blows on the Klingon’s head as she flew by him. She wisely attempted to dodge most of strikes from the heavy bat’leth and return fire with her phaser, using her katana to deflect a few blows but not willing to take a direct hit to the weapon, knowing that the smaller blade could easily break with one hard strike from the larger bat’leth. The vicious bat’leth seemed to have a mind of its own, thirsty for the blood of its opponent, roaring down upon her without mercy.

“You are weak! This fight is mine are you ready to lose” Krassix rasped in a cocky tone.

“I fight to win,” she informed him on no uncertain terms. 

The Klingon was quick with his blade, knocking her phaser to the side any time she attempted to fire at him, blocking any strike with her katana. Savik deflected a blow with her katana and saw an opening, so resting her left hand with her phaser on the ground for balance, she slid in on one knee to deliver a powerful kick to the side of her opponent’s knee. The Klingon faltered and she took full advantage of the opening to spin around on her knee while using her phaser to distract him with a shot directed at his head. With quick reflexes he struck the phaser to keep the shot from meeting flesh, and with the force of the blow he stripped the phaser from her, the weapon clattering to the floor with a deafening thud. But his victory was short lived as the distraction she had planned fulfilled its purpose. 

Savik continued on past her opponent, striking low with her katana as she whirled beneath his feet. The enemy commander stumbled forward to catch himself on one of the few still standing chairs, blood streaming from a deep cut in his right calf. When he straightened and turned back to face his assailant, she was already flying through the air towards him. He was quick enough to sidestep, but as soon as her feet hit the ground she had reversed directions to spin and roll back towards him, retrieving her phaser from where it had fallen as she advanced back towards her opponent. Suddenly a voice crackled over Savik’s comm. 

“The two enemy combatants are down!” the master chief’s tone was one of jubilation. “The doc can shoot,” he added with a mixture of surprise and admiration. John was one to give credit where credit was due, and the doctor had been of great assistance in drawing out the Klingons and taking them down with some long range shots. 

The Klingon leader snarled at this news, and Savik took a moment to respond. 

“Just one left to go then.”

The opposing Klingon was less certain with his attacks now, taking a more defensive stance. It was when he stumbled back on his wounded leg that Savik saw her opportunity. The roof above where the Klingon stood sagged low, barely hanging from a few rotting rafters. Savik’s phaser rained down a barrage of plasma beams on the disintegrating trusses. The wounded Klingon looked up just in time to see the center of the joist snap and the roof began to cave in on him. By that time, Savik was headed for the door. The collapsing roof pulled the walls inward and the entire structure swallowed itself in a cloud of dust as Savik dove out the door. 

Coughing up the dusty air from her lungs, Savik rose to her feet just as the Master Chief settled the craft down in the street next to the Klingon vessel. Savik warily eyed the two Klingon’s whose twisted figures lay close to their ship, but the distorted manner in which they lay and the lack of movement betrayed that they were indeed deceased. 

The shuttle door slid open and the doctor greeted her at the door, a TR116a still in his hands. Savik nodded to him as she stepped aboard the shuttle, and the Master Chief immediately spoke up to give the doctor kudos. 

“Glad to see you’re all good, Commander.” John gave her an easy grin as he swiveled his chair away from the console to face her. “Don’t know if I could have backed you up myself if it hadn’t been for some sharp shooting from the Doc there.” John nodded in the doctor’s direction.

“Thank you for that, Doctor,” Savik said with genuine appreciation. “I would have been hard pressed to take all three of them on my own.”

The doctor, a rather massive figure of a man with rippling muscles that were not hidden well beneath his uniform, responded with a short nod. “Just doing my job,” he stated in a deep bass voice. 

Savik wondered for a moment what had brought such a figure of a man who seemed to have combat experience to become a doctor, but before she could dwell on it more she was being hailed over the comms. 

(On the Tesla)

Michael had begun to weigh every decision of what to do next after thanking his crew for their exceptional work; he decided he wasn’t going to let Michelle get away with her treacherous actions against the Federation. He knew he needed to call an emergency meeting, but he needed to check up on his first officer who had been gone a concerning amount of time. 

“Ryder to Savik is everything ok down there?” 

“The signal admittor was located and secured, Captain,” the response came back across the airways. “No survivors in distress were found, so we believe it to be a ruse by the enemy. We ran into a little trouble, an attack from three Klingons who were laying in wait, but with my team’s assistance we were able to put them down.”

“He tried to kill you? Well seems as though they had a plan all along. I am glad to hear you are ok. If you could return to the ship with all possible haste. I need you back on the Tesla.”

“Departing now, Captain.”

“Excellent! Great work XO!”

Michael couldn’t help but smile because Savik had surpassed all expectations on her away mission. He was glad to see she was getting more comfortable and that helped him believe in her abilities. He now had no doubt she would be a valuable addition to the Tesla.

Michael snapped back to reality and began to weigh the option of attacking the Klingon ship hiding in the darkness like a thief in the night. 

There was a slight upturn at the corners of Savik’s lips as Captain Ryder’s compliment came in over the comms, but with a quick intake of breath she turned to the Master Chief with a short nod.

“Let’s head back to the Tesla Chief,” she ordered as she took the seat next to him in front of the controls. 

The First Officer kept her composure well, but John’s observant gaze did not fail to pick up the slightly higher tilt to her chin as she wore their CO’s compliment with a new found pride and confidence. And well she should, the Chief thought. She had handled herself well in combat and had proven herself to be a worthy Commander of the crew. As the shuttlecraft took off with a whir, John grinned at the light feeling in his chest. He was looking forward to everything his new posting aboard the Tesla had to offer. 

(Meanwhile on the D’Kara)

Vilk’on was on the bridge looking at the image of the Tesla unmoving, not scared of what may be hiding holding a blockade that it was way too small to handle. Vilk’on smirked as he thought of the idea of just giving the order and wiping the miserable ship out of existence, but he had been told differently by Michelle. He was not to fight the Tesla unless necessary. 

She thinks she can tell me what to do? Ha if only she knew we’re using her for a means to an end.

Vilk’on was interrupted by a message request he growled as the officer appeared on the screen.  It was Commander Vorchata, head of attack wing yakh. The man's face showed anger, but not enough to try and speak before he was spoken too. 

“Vorchata why are you breaking silence do you realize those Federation P’takhs could intercept the message.”

“I do not care Vilk’on I am tired of hiding when we can destroy this ship and move in for the kill.” Vorchata hissed as he took a handful of Gagh and shoved it in his mouth. 

Vilk’on looked at the Commander and pulled out his D'k tahg. He pointed it at Vorchata. “If you want to try and undermine my authority go ahead but remember I have the authority of the fleet.” 

Vorchata laughed “I am not scared of your idle threats Vilk’on. I will do as I please.”

Vilk’on smiled and snapped his fingers, as he did the crew behind Vorchata drew their weapons and pointed them towards him. “Think again Ekur the honor is yours.”

(On Vorchata’s Flagship)

Ekur had been under appreciated by Vorchata since she had joined the ship. Ekur had been placed on the ship under Vilk’on’s command, as he knew that Vorchata would try to overturn his authority. Ekur pulled her Bat’leth up to guard as Vorchata lunged at her. She grinned she loved fighting especially for honor. 

Ekur slashed the Bat’leth across Vorchatas shoulder. He hissed and lunged again as Ekur dodged the lunge and Vorchata was pushed to the ground by Ekurs Bat’leth. She ran the Bat’leth into his back and it was over. Ekur was now the Captain of the A’kurta. She sit in her seat as the crew began chanting. She looked up at Vilk’on who had been watching the event. 

“General what do you command?”

Vilk’on smiled “We wait to strike. Make sure and let the fleet know that.” 

Ekur nodded and disconnected the comms. 

(On the D’Kara)

(Michelle’s Quarters)

Michelle felt something was off but it was hard for her to try and discover what while being watched on every turn. She had finally been given some freedom as the crew began to trust her. She was in her quarters trying to access the files of the ship. She was starving but she wouldn’t dare eat the food that Klingons ate. The smell of the ship alone made her stomach roll. 

She was cracking the codes slowly when she came across a message from someone on Qo’noS. She accessed the message. 

“General Vilk’on you have served the D’Ghor proud, but we have one of your most dangerous assignments ahead. We need you to go along with the plans of Michelle Oliver, a Commander in Starfleet who has decided to betray them. Make her happy, but when the time comes eliminate her as we cannot trust her.”

Michelle stopped and blinked. She didn’t want to believe it but secretly she knew that was what they wanted to do. She couldn’t go back to Starfleet and she couldn’t ask Michael for help. She had to escape and make a new life. She would have her revenge, but not now. 

Should I tell Mike what they have waiting?

She shook the thought out of her head for now she had to keep appearances up and that meant to act like she knew nothing was going on, but she would wait to be called on. Angering Vilk’on was not a great idea she had heard he enjoyed hurting those who displeased him. As she was not a Klingon she had to walk a very thin line regardless and that made her watch herself at every turn. 

(The bridge)

Vilk’on hadn’t heard from Krassik or the away team. He was sure they would have been back by now, but he never could understand Krassik’s way of doing things. His thought was broken by the Klingon Shuttle returning to the ship. 

He could hear that only the pilot survived as the Federation eliminated the Klingons. He wasn’t surprised the D’Ghor had really added to the frustration of Starfleet's current situation and the fact the Starfleet requested the fourth fleet to come in and help said a lot. 

The fourth fleet had a reputation for being loyal to each other, but also to get the job done no matter what the cost. Vilk’on grimaced at the loss of Krassik, but hoped he died with honor. Vilk’on had waited long enough there was no way that the Federation ship would be able to call in allies. It was time to spring the trap which had been quietly set. Vilk’on ordered the message to be sent, as he did the ships began to uncloak one by one. 

Now they will see the full might of the D’Ghor, but they will not be able to tell anyone about it. Stranded and all along this will be the end of Captain Ryder and his crew.

Vilk’on couldn’t help but smile as he thought of the reaction of the crew on the Tesla. He could only imagine the fear that had to be in that ship. He would give them a little time before making the offer to let them go. He grabbed the glass of bloodwine beside him and took a long drink. This would be a day that he could fight with honor the D’Ghor way. 

(On the USS Tesla)

Michael had been weighing his options and had decided on one of two he was about to announce a senior meeting to his crew when he heard Ruvok speak up. 

“Captain multiple D’Ghor ships uncloaking.” 

Michael stayed calm and asked for the event to be shown on the view screen as the screen began to capture the moment Michael’s eyes got wide. He saw around 35 ships ahead of him. The D’Ghor had amassed a fleet here. The goal probably being to provide backup to the forces attacking the rest of the fleet. Michael had cut them off and now they were going to force his hand. 

The situation was dire and if he didn’t change things to his favor the Tesla could be very short lived. He smirked and looked at Kra’vaak. 

“It’s time to call in the secret weapon. Are things sit for the surprise Kra’vaak?”

The Klingon looked at Michael and nodded “Everything should be set, we just need to notify the contact and we need to do it on encrypted channels otherwise General Vilk’on might hear what we say.”

Michael nodded and looked at the crew on the bridge. “I think it’s time we explain what’s going to happen. As you all know we are in a predicament, but I want to say I couldn’t be happier than to be with the crew I’m with. Kra’vaak and I have been preparing for an eventuality like this when we first heard about the D’Ghor and after some tight negotiations we have a few of the Klingon houses as backup. The D’Ghor are not fans of the actual honorable Klingon houses. We will be calling in the fleet for this fight. This will not be an easy one nor will it be simple but I believe in this crew. Prepare your stations and stand up to Red Alert.” 

Michael looked at Kra’vaak and nodded “It’s time let’s spring the surprise.”

Kra’vaak went to his station and prepared an encrypted channel once he had set it up he nodded at Michael standing beside him. 

Michael paused for a second and spoke “This is Captain Ryder calling the Klingon Fleet it is time. I have forwarded our coordinates with this message please respond.”

After a moment of silence a voice came through the Comms “Ryder this is General Grok we have acknowledged your message and are on our way to your location. Prepare for an honorable battle.”

Michael smiled and went to his chair sitting down watching Savik enter the bridge and take her seat. 

“Welcome back XO let’s catch you up to speed on what’s going on.”

“Glad to be back in one piece, CO,” Savik responded with grin. She seemed to have a new found confidence with her recent victorious encounter with the Klingons.

After a short explanation of what had happened and what was coming Michael saw a twinkle in Saviks eyes as she seemed to understand what his plan was. 

Michael was about to see if she had any response when he heard Ruvok’s calm voice yet again, but with a small inflection of excitement. 

“Multiple warp signatures inbound it looks like friends are here.” 

Michael looked to see multiple Klingon ships warp around the view screen in front of him. He couldn’t help but smile slightly as he tried to imagine Vilk’on’s face at this surprise. 

(On the D’Kara)

“General we have incoming warp signals to many to give an accurate count.” The operations officer said in surprise. 

Vilk’on stood up and swung around to look at the officer “What?!” 

Vilk’on looked out of the view screen to see a whole fleet of Klingon ships warping all around the Tesla.

How did they manage that it’s impossible? That fleet is formidable, but how did they ally with the Federation. 

Vilk’on regrouped his thoughts and sat back down slamming his fist down on the chair. “They want a fight, we will give them one. Get Commander Oliver up here now.” He growled. 

“Yes General!” The aide replied leaving the bridge. 

Vilk’on looked at the force in front of him and couldn’t help, but shake his head. How Ryder amassed a fleet for this he would never understand, but as much as he hated the man already he had to admit he was impressed at the resourcefulness. 

Vilk’on did not have a first officer and though most ships would have a second officer Vilk’on saw that as a weakness. He would deal with that matter when the time came, but he could hope that the Tesla’s first officer also died in battle. 

His thoughts were interrupted as Michelle walked up next to him. 

“You called for me General.” She replied cautiously. 

Vilk’on nodded “Was you aware of Captain Ryder’s reinforcements? He said pointing to the view screen in front of him. 

Michelle stopped and looked in utter disbelief. She shook her head “No General I did not in fact I do not know how he would have rallied the Klingons.” She lied only to protect herself though she was angry because Michael had complicated things more than they needed to be currently. 

Vilk’on paused and shook his head. “Well, we shall prepare for battle. Make sure and keep yourself out of the way. I will call for you if needed, but for now you are confined to your quarters.” He snapped his fingers and watched her being escorted off the bridge. 

(On Ekurs Flagship) 

Ekur looked at the scene in front of her and was beyond speechless the fact that the Klingons had amassed wasn’t surprising, but coming to the aid of a Federation vessel confused her. 

Ekur had left a noble house because of her disagreement in even trying to be friends with the Federation. They were a waste of time and most of them had little to no honor. 

She had joined the D’Ghor as she had been promised a chance to make the Federation pay for the things they had done to the Klingons. Her heart burned with pure hatred for any member of the Federation, even the turncoat on Vilk’on’s ship she did not trust because the Federation always had two agendas to anything they did and she felt this traitor was no different. 

Ekur had a group of ships under her and now that they had exposed themselves she did not understand why Vilk’on had not attacked, but it was not for her to question him as he had just handed her this command. Vorchata’s body gone but the blood still there as a reminder to the crew. 

Ekur messaged her ships to prepare to fight, but not to engage until the General gave the signal to the fleet. Ekur opened comms with the D’Kara.

“Ekur to Vilk’on, Sir why have we not attacked these worthless curs? We could have already crushed the Tesla.”

The response back brought a chill up her spine.

“Are you questioning my authority Ekur?”

“No Sir just wondering why you didn’t take the tactical advantage.”

“Very well if you must know the Tesla not only blocked the path, but also the area could not be cleared for us to warp too. So I need to confirm the point before attacking.”

Ekur understood now it wasn’t that he didn’t want to attack, it's that he wasn’t sure about what would happen after the fight. 

“I understand General well the wing is ready to attack on your orders.” She concluded. 

“Very good, be prepared for a fight soon. Vilk’on out.”

(On the Tesla)

Michael was uneasy to the fact that Vilk’on hadn’t attacked yet, but was prepared for when he did. He had ordered the crew to take stations and the bridge was bathed in red lights for red alert. He looked at Amanda 

“What’s the status of our weapons?”

“Phaser banks are full and we have a full load of torpedoes set to fire at the next command.”

Michael nodded and looked at Kra’vaak “Open a channel.” If Vilk’on didn’t want to start he would push his hand. “Make sure our allies hear the channel as well.” Kra’vaak nodded and signaled the channel was open. 

“General Vilk’on this is Captain Ryder as you can see you are now outnumbered. If you surrender now we will make sure that you are treated properly, but if you refuse we will open fire, as you openly attacked a Federation vessel.” 

Michael heard laughter over the comms and knew that Vilk’on would never surrender. He was sure of that fact before he had even suggested it, but he was doing as he had been trained.

The harsh laughter of the enemy Klingon grated against Savik’s ears and sent a chill down her spine, but she found strength in their fearless captain’s undaunted expression as he calmly handled the situation. 

Michael looked down to see a notification that Grok and the Klingons were prepared and ready to fight the D’Ghor fleet. Michael quietly acknowledged the notification. He then heard Vilk’on reply. 

“Captain Ryder, your offer is ridiculous and we will not be surrendering. Prepare to fight and die. We are prepared to give no quarter. 

The response was no surprise as the D’Ghor were not honorable though they thought they were. Michael immediately cut comms as he knew that the conversation was over. 

He looked at the crew “Target the nearest vessel and prepare for a fight. We are about to see what the Tesla can do.”

Michael had been in many skirmishes, but this would be one for the records. He was nervous to push his crew to their limits, but it had to be done. 

Savik watched in silence, prepared to jump to the ready when needed but wisely accessing that at the moment she would be most useful as an observant student, learning from their capable and experienced Captain as he handled the battle. 

He was thinking about his crew when he was lurched from his seat as a torpedo hit the ship's shields. 

“Damage report?” Michael inquired. 

“Shields to 70% but they’re holding currently sir.” Ruvok answered calmly as always. 

Michael nodded “Concentrate fire on the D’Kara we can’t let Vilk’on get away.” 

The Tesla exterior erupted with phaser fire from the banks of the ship all targeting the D’Kara. 

(On the D’Kara)

(In Michelle’s Quarters) 

Michelle felt the Klingon ship lurch and lost her balance hitting her head off the hull of the ship. As the blood trickled down her cheek she shook off the confusion. She had to enact her plan now before she was taken out by the Klingons. 

She had been working on the plan for weeks and now it was time. She pulled out the Klingon Disruptor Rifle she had swiped from the armory awhile ago. She knew the protocols to get a shuttle and it was time to escape. 

She yelled out in distress and the Klingon guarding her ran in to see what happened. She whacked the Klingon over the head with the rifle. She quickly left the room and sealed the door. She had been down every corridor of this ship and knew the route of any patrols, but with the ship on alert the way should be an easy task. As she began to traverse the corridor another lurch of the ship almost tossed her to the ground but she used the wall as support. This lurch was bigger and alarms were blaring all around the ship. It seemed as though Michael and his reinforcements were fighting back harder than expected. 

(On the D’Kara’s Bridge) 

Vilk’on was determined to break the battle line in front of him, but was surprised at the tenacity of the fight especially from the Tesla for such a small ship it was a tough opponent. He had already lost one wing to a foolish attack made by its commander. The whole wing was slaughtered with no survivors. 

He looked at his tactical officer “Converge all of our firepower on the Tesla! It must be destroyed.”

“As you command General.” The officer replied. 

Vilk’on watched as the ship was about to fire when all the sudden two ships converged in front of the Tesla like a shield. 

“Ghuy! What are they doing? Fire on those ships! Destroy the Tesla at all cost.”

The fire in Vilk’on’s eyes burned with pure hatred, as his ship was fired upon. His ship was being battered and all fire concentrated on it caused the shields to fail, as they did he knew his death was at hand. 

(On the Tesla) 

Michael had strategically made sure that this battle was fought smart and tactically sound. He had sent all the information he had to the Klingon allies and they had used it to their advantage. The ships in the D’Ghor fleet were beginning to disappear like a raindrop once it hits the ground. 

Vilk’on was a smart man and was putting up a valiant fight, but Michael knew Vilk’on had to realize he was defeated. The sheer amount of his fleet that had been crushed by the Klingon fleet was insurmountable compared to the damage inflicted to the Klingon vessels. 

Michael thought about Michelle as the D’Kara began to come closer and closer to its demise. He wished he could change her mind, but he knew her and he knew that there was no way she would change her mind. He did not want to kill her, but she had chosen her fate and to Michael that was all that could be done. 

Michael was brought back to reality, as Ruvok determined the D’Kara’s shields were down and that the ships protecting the Tesla were waiting for their orders. 

Michael peered out of the view screen as the two Klingon vessels opened the way for him to see the D’Kara it’s hull battered and apparent damage visible. Michael looked at Kra’vaak “Send a message to the Klingons tell them it’s time to end this.” 

Kra’vaak nodded and proceeded to send the message the only response he got was a coded message containing the word Qapla’

Amanda was waiting for the order to fire the torpedoes to destroy the D’Kara. She saw the Captain look back at her and give a singular nod, which was all she needed. 

She pressed the button and two torpedoes made there way to the D’Kara as they impacted a brilliant flash of light appeared and then was gone. 

That was the end of Vilk’on and his fleet had been destroyed due to some help from the unlikely allies the Tesla kept an entire fleet from being in reinforcements during a decisive day for Starfleet. It had been a day like no other and Michael did not know what to expect, but he was proud of his crew and the professional manner in such a difficult situation. 

Michael was about to turn and address his crew when he heard “Someone is hailing us.” Michael spun around giving his usual hand signal to put it on screen. 

What he saw was shocking, but not impossible. Michelle was on the screen with a smile on her face, as she was in a Klingon shuttle. 

“Michael, well fought you almost killed me, but I got out just as the D’Kara was finished. Vilk’on was a fool and a means to an end. You have foiled this plan, but there will be more in fact there will always be more.”

Michael stopped and chose his words carefully before speaking “Michelle give up this madness and turn yourself in. I will do what I can to try and help you. Please don’t throw your life away.”

All he got in return was a laugh of pure defiance and a smug reply “There is nothing in this world that would make me change my mind...in fact it’s because of what I lost that made me do this. Everyone thinks the Federation is your friend until they kill your entire family in what they are calling an accident. I have no family and I have nothing in the Federation to live for. I won’t forget what you did here today ruining a plan to finally give the Federation what they deserved. Mark my words Michael you will see me again and I promise you that you won’t want too.” 

The screen cut to black and Michael realized he had an enemy who used to be one of his closest friends was not his biggest enemy. 

Michael pushed that out of his mind and looked back to his crew, as well as his XO who had stepped up and helped the crew in any way she could during the combat. He opened a ship wide channel and looked at the officer on the bridge. He smiled and began to speak “Brave crew of the USS Tesla you have made me proud today and you have brought honor to the Federation. I am happy to be your Captain and I thank you for your hard work in such a trying battle. The Tesla proved one thing she is up for a fight. A brand new ship and we need repairs well if this is any indication of the future then buckle up for a wild ride. Thank you for everything you did and know we were victorious this day.”

Michael saw a profound look of pride on his crew and he couldn’t ask for better. He looked at Kra’vaak “Send our Klingon allies the thank you and praise they deserve.” 

Kra’vaak looked at Michael and smiled “You have made more friends today than you will ever guess. As always a great job Captain.” 

Michael smiled and looked at his XO who was dirty from her engagement on the ground. He leaned over and whispered in her ear “Great job Savik you made me proud today and I am thankful to have you on my ship.”

Michael pulled away and smiled nodding to show his appreciation. 

Savik tried to maintain a professional demeanor but she was beaming at the compliment. She returned the nod.

“Shall I take a round and gather a complete assessment of the damage to the ship?” she asked.

Michael nodded his head and looked at Dorner “Plot a course to Fleet headquarters. Let’s do it.” 

As he did the ship was heading for repairs needed from a battle that had not been planned or even imagined. The Klingons had already warped out before he plotted course, but he was thankful for the help they gave if not for them the Tesla would not have survived. 

Michael marked in his PADD a note 

The Battle of Praxis III

A battle we shall never forget and a battle that shows just what you can do when you use the right methods of command. 

This fight we learned that we have an enemy closer to home and because of that we must follow the motto trust no one.

The End 

A joint post between:

Suz - Commander Savik