USS Washington

Under the command of a veteran Commanding Officer, the USS Washington has been dispatched to the Beta Quadrant to assist in Starfleet's Humanitarian efforts in the area. 

Comments

• KyleKyle Member
    "It's not going to happen!" She threw up her hands and stormed out of the room, followed by her entourage. 
    "Of course Starfleet is going to allow them to just walk out of these talks." This disgust in his voice was overwhelming. He too left the room with his attache's leaving one side of the table filled with silent Starfleet officers. 

All Starfleet heads turned to Captain Javin Kile, who throughout the screaming match, had remained calm. After both sides of the dispute had left the room, he let out a quick chuckle. Today marked his 25th Anniversary of his joining of Starfleet. This was a day he'd normally celebrate with a bit of Romulan ale and calls to his mentors in Starfleet. Instead, he found himself in orbit of an M-Class planet in Moore's Star System in the formal Romulan Neutral Zone mediating a land dispute. This was definitely not the way he pictured his life a year ago, yet here he was. 

Last year was fun. But how foolish of me to leave it behind. he thought to himself. He'd been appointed the Commandant of the 4th Fleet's Academy after serving as an instructor at the main campus for a few years. But like every explorer, years of being in the classroom make you want to skittish to get out. And so when the posting for the CO position of the Galaxy Class USS Washington had been posted, he put in for the transfer. After submitting the request, he immediately started day dreaming of the exploration he'd partake in. Navigating through nebulas, making first contacts, encountering newly discovered space life. But here he was, attempting to settle a dispute between two rival Romulan factions, and by the looks of it, he'd fail in his message. 

Captain Kile stood up and looked to his diplomatic attache. "Send a message to both parties that I will see them back here in 30 minutes. Be sure to transmit our meeting norms." 

Then he turned to his operations staff, "What is the status of our replicators?" The USS Washington's mission had included resupplying the planet. Before the Romulan hypernova, the civilian government had thrown open their doors and invited any and all refugees. But now, with the most recent elections ushering in a more close-minded nationalistic government, the Moore's Star System had become a hot bed for conflict and controversy. From proposals to isolate refugees to their own separate locations, a once peaceful welcoming planet had become a warzone. The Washington's replicators were now working around the clock is being used to create resources for the planets population. 

His Chief Engineer, who'd served on the Washington for the last 15 years, had been present during the meeting to offer support/guidance for the rebuilding of the planet's ravaged infrastructure but had said nothing. Now was his first opportunity to speak, he picked up his PADD. "They are operating at 97% efficiency. Estimates are that we can keep up this level of production for the next week. By that time, the industrial replicators will have been delivered." 

"Good. Keep it up. We can't afford to have one of them break down. The Prophets are the only ones to know how long their monologues would be." With a chuckle he stood and headed towards his Ready Room. "I want you all back here in twenty five minutes." 

Captain's Ready Room. 
    "Hasparat and a Black Hole." Captain Kile ordered his annual meal from his replicator. Enjoying the searing feeling on his tongue he sat at his desk reading the most recent reports on Moore's Star System. There were reports of squabbles between the inhabitants and refugees throughout the southern hemisphere all while negotiations continued on the Washington. He'd ordered a yellow alert with increased security sweeps of the ship. While it would serve as a neutral meeting place, there was no question that either side might take this opportunity to kidnap or eliminate the leaders of the opposing side. 

He started eating the hasparat and drinking the synthohol. Part of him wished it was true alcohol but he knew that wouldn't sit well with the admiralty. He had twenty minutes left before he needed to back in the observation lounge. And he intended to be two minutes late. For now, he'd continue to privately celebrate his anniversary in Starfleet and prepare himself for the next round of negotiations. At the outset he'd established his own goal: restore peace to the Moore's Star System and ensure what ever settlement is reached is equitable for both sides. 
  • KyleKyle Member
    USS Washington, The Observation Lounge 
    "Now that we're all back together. Let's get back to the talks of peace. Or would you both rather tear each other apart with your bare hands?" Captain Javin Kile took his seat across from each side. "Due to your yelling, my recollection of this debate is spotty. Let's quickly review." He gestured to Thaldees, the Romulan representing the native of Moore's Star System.

Thaldees took a deep breath, and through gritted teeth restated his goals: "When the Romulan Star hypernova first threatened millions, the people of Moore's Star System knew that they had to act. We literally threw open the doors and welcomed in anyone seeking refuge from the hypernova. We stand by that decision. We are proud of that decision..." 

Pirrona, the leader of the refugees, interrupted. "If that's true, then why are you calling for our forced relocation? Why must we move into space?" 

Before Thaldees had a chance to reply, Captain Kile put up his hands, "That's enough. Pirrona, you'll have your chance to speak. I want everyone to lay their cards on the table. If we can't get past this, there is no point in Starfleet being present and we'll leave within the hour." Kile had served in Starfleet long enough that he knew that if Starfleet withdrew from the system, chaos would return and what little work they've done would be gone. He thought he could see the disgust on both their faces. At least that's one thing they can agree upon. 

"As I was saying," Thaldees continued, "We through our doors open and welcomed all refugees into our system. We welcomed them as we welcome new family members. But now, our resources are stretched too thin. Space is becoming limited. Our government was elected in the most recent election with a majority because we promised to restore Moore Star System to the greatness we once knew before we accepted refugees." During his pause Pirrona exhaled loudly. Obviously she hadn't voted for Thaldees' party. 

"Since we were sworn in just two months ago, we've been working to fulfill our mandate. From new zoning laws to identification cards, and travel restrictions, our goal has been to restore order now that the refugee population has turned violent." Somehow Pirrona kept her composure at the suggestion of violence, "Our end goal is the relocation of the refugee population to an orbital space station, while our best scientists terraform the fourth planet in our solar system. We predict this would take roughly fifty years." 

Javin Kile took in and processed the proposal. On one hand, the refugees would have increased freedom and self-determination with a place to call their home if they went through with the terraforming project. On the other, they'd be segregated away from the population of Moore's Star System with less resources than the natives. He motioned to Pirrona to for their side. 

"Finally." She took a deep breathe, "The refugee population will be forever grateful to the people of Moore's Star System. Ever since they've taken us in, we've felt at home. Well, until the election of Thaldees and his nationalists. Ever since their election, the first of which refugees were barred from voting, their overt attacks our liberties and freedoms have pushed many of my people over the edge. As their elected representative, I am present to fight against these oppressions.

"Thaldees, here represents a total threat to our existence. His measures are meant to isolate us. Make life on this planet as inhospitable as possible so we relocate. What we've integrated into this planet. Refugees and natives intermarry. What happens to their young? Where will they live under this plan? And don't get me started on this space station. They're proposing six individuals per room for fifty years. It will be overcrowded and poorly staffed and resourced. Most importantly, throughout all of this, the voices of those who migrated to Moore's Star System have been robbed of representation. If we agree with this plan, our rights, our liberties, our independence will be lost forever. We will not support it. Life must continue as it presently stands.

Captain Kile could not disagree with what Pirrona had just said. "Pirrona, what say you about the violence perpetrated against Moore City?" Playing the devils advocate was never fun and if eyes could kill, he'd definitely be dead by the stare she was giving him. 

"Respectfully, Captain, if your home, property, and rights were being forcefully taken away from you. Would you sit by and allow it to happen?" She paused. "I don't condone violence. I was elected on a pledge to never support violence. But if you ask me if I understand why this is happening, I'd say yes." 

With that sentiment, Thaldees raised an eyebrow, "Typical. Accepting violence. This is what we have to deal with, Captain. And yet they criticize use for wanting to isolate them for our own security." 

Pirrona stood up, "Once again - the government had respected the rights of my people, none of this would have happened." 

"And if your people hadn't come to this planet in the first place, none of this would have happened. Yet we still have to deal with it." Thaldees' anger finally surfaced. The Premier of Moore Three was so resentful of the refugees that he had resorted to violence. "Until your side is prepared to end the violence, we have nothing to discuss." He stood and, unlike before, calmly walked out of the room. Captain Javin Kile shook his head then said, "We'll reconvene tomorrow."