A New Old Roommate

BrenBren Member

Starbase Bravo
Temporary Accommodation Quarters
Day 1 - 0930 Hours

Lieutenant Commander Vannon Dacour made his way to his assigned quarters on Starbase Bravo after spending a couple of days of shore leave on Mellstoxx III. Though not Betazed itself, Mellstoxx was similar enough to his homeworld to make him feel comfortable and relaxed for the few days he spent there before reporting to the starbase for the Osiris Initiative. Saying goodbye to the crew of the Moonraker had been more emotional than he anticipated, but then goodbyes often were for him. You think you're ready to let go, but then once you do...

He pushed the thoughts of his previous assignment aside and focused on what lay ahead of him: a new adventure. What exactly that adventure was going to entail, he didn't know... and that was why he was here. But first he needed a place to stow his gear before he did anything else. He'd been told he was sharing quarters, which he didn't mind too much; the idea took him back to his days of being a cadet when he shared a room with-

"Hey there, stranger!" a voice called out down the corridor and he looked up to see a familiar face.

Three expressions rapidly appeared in succession on Vannon's face: surprise, joy and confusion, each tinged with a slight hint of disbelief.

"Neve... is that you?" Vannon called out as he walked towards the half-Human, half-Bajoran woman wearing the same red command uniform as him.

"You're damn right it is!" she replied and hurried over to him as they both embraced, then pulled back to look at each other, both equally surprised to find the other there.

"What the hell... I was just thinking about you!" Vannon blurted.

"Let me guess, the fact that you have to share quarters at this event is giving you flashbacks to the best roommate you've ever had?" she laughed.

"That's about the sum of it," Vannon confessed and smiled at her excitedly. "It's so good to see you. I probably shouldn't even be surprised to see you here," he added, glancing down at the lieutenant commander pips on her uniform. "I always knew it wouldn't take you long to get a command."

"And here I was almost thinking I'd beat you to it," she replied, patting him playfully on the shoulder. "Last time I heard you were promoted to first officer on the Moonraker?"

"Yeah, that was early last year," Vannon nodded.

"Prophets, the time is flying; I can't keep up anymore," Neve shook her head. "Hey, let's catch up over a drink or something. And not like we usually say we'll do and then never do it... for real, this time. How often are we in the same place?"

"It's a deal," Vannon said, reaching out his hand to Neve which she shook firmly with a nod. "Let's meet at the Welcoming Ceremony and then find a place to catch up afterwards."

"You've got it. I need to find my quarters first to freshen up," she said as she wiped a long strand of caramel brown hair out of her face. "I desperately need to wash my hair," she added under her breath.

"Where's your cabin?" Vannon asked.

"Just down here," Neve pointed. "Cabin 44-"

"-C?" Vannon interjected.

"How did you..." she looked at him quizzically. "I thought you couldn't read minds."

Vannon chuckled under his breath. "Lucky guess," he said. "That's my cabin."

"No way!" Neve protested, then took a look at Vannon's padd as he showed her his quarters assignment. "Looks like we're roommates again, roomie."

"Just promise me if we have to do some sort of test, you're not going to throw a room party like you did the night before my Kobayashi Maru simulation," Vannon joked, playfully squinting his eyes at her... although, back then, he didn't quite find it so funny.

Neve just laughed. "I promise, no room parties, unless you're into it too."

"Good," Vannon smiled in return. "Now let's go see what kind of closet they've shoved us into."

Lt Commander Vannon Dacour
Lt Commander Varis Neve (NPC)