Tales of the Dean of Cadets

LeahLeah Member
edited August 2020 in Starbase Bravo

These are the stories of Fleet Captain Azras Dex who has been assigned to the Bravo Fleet Academy Campus on Mellstoxx III as the Dean of Cadets. After years of being amongst the stars, she has to adjust to being planetside in charge of all the Cadets that are stationed on Mellstoxx III.

Comments

• LeahLeah Member

[Guardian Station]
    [Sector Alpha-Red, Task Force Operations]
    [Mission Day 2; 1800h]

Winding down her day after sending her report to Rear Admiral Hayden as she requested, she was about to shut her computer off and head to her quarters when she got an alert. Raising an eyebrow she wondered what it could be at this hour, tapping the message she began to read.

Fleet Captain Azras Dex
    Task Force 9 Executive Officer
    Guardian Station

We know you just been assigned to Guardian Station as the Task Force Executive Officer for Task Force 9, but unfortunately, you being recalled to Mellstoxx III to head up the Bravo Fleet Academy Campus as Dean of Cadets.

We feel that you are the right person for this position and request that you arrive there by the end of the week to take on the reigns. The USS Kentucky will be leaving Guardian Station tomorrow morning and has agreed to take you and your family to Mellstoxx III.

Starfleet Command
    San Fransisco, Earth

After finishing reading the letter she signed as she turned off her computer, “they like to keep people on their toes.” She said to herself getting up from her chair and headed out of the office, good thing she didn’t get a chance to really unpack. Turning to the receptionist she apologized and asked to have her belongings ent to the USS Kentucky that was docked.

“Aye sir, you leaving?” the receptionist asked as Azras just arrived the day before. Nodding, “unfortunately, yes I been reassigned yet again.” Azras added with a slight smile with a sign in there as well. The young women nodded and tapped a few buttons, “you’re belongings will be sent there momentarily.” The receptionist replied as Azras nodded and headed off towards her quarters to inform her husband and son.

[Sector Alpha-Red]
    [Task Force Executive Officer’s Quarters]
    [Mission Day 2, 1830h]

Once she arrived she walked in and noticed that her husband was fixing dinner, he looked over to see who walked in the door. “Hello Dear, I am making your favorite,” Arzin replied as he walked over and gave her a kiss. He could see the troubled look on her face, “what’s wrong love?” He asked as he looked at her as he walked back over to the stove to finish making dinner so it wouldn’t burn.

“Well, we have to pack up again and tonight as we are leaving on the USS Kentucky that will be headed towards Mellstoxx III.” Azras began as she took a seat at the open dining room table looking at him. “I have been reassigned again to head of the Bravo Fleet Academy Campus as Dean of Cadets,” Azras added looking at him, wondering if it would change yet again by the time she arrived there.

Arzin looked back at her, “did they give you a reason why they were so quickly reassigning you after you just been reassigned to Task Force Nine?” He asked as he finished making dinner and placed it on plates bringing her’s over and setting it down. “Yadri, dinner is ready,” Azrin called as he set his on the table as well as his own.

Yadri came out, “hey mom.” Yadri replied giving his mom a hug before sitting down to begin to eat. “They felt I was the right person for the job,” Azras replied as she took a bit of her food and looked at him. “What you talking about mom?” Yadri said as he looked at them in confusion.

“Your mother has been reassigned yet again, so we have to pack again,” Arzin replied as he took a bite of his own food. “What why?” Yadri asked as Azras explained everything to him as they ate. “Oh ok,” Yadri replied as he continued to eat like it wasn’t a big deal.

“Oh, I also learned that our daughter has been moved to the Bravo Fleet Campus as well,” Azras replied looking at him with a smile. “That is good news,” Arzin replied as Yadri got excited he would be able to see his sister sometimes.

“Do you know why they are moving her?” Arzin asked as he finished his plate, getting up he grabbed all the plates and placed them in the replicator for disposal. “There medical program is the best and more expanded than the one on Earth, so she will be able to go the four years as well as the four years of medical school,” Azras replied looking at him before looking back at their quarters they just unpacked.

“That makes sense,” Arzin replied as they yet again started to pack their belongings which would take the majority of the night to get done. Once completed they had their belongings transferred over to the USS Kentucky, they would spend one last night in their quarters before leaving early in the morning.

Once Yadri was in bed asleep, both Arzin and Azras sat down on the couch looking at their quarters on their very short stay aboard Guardian Station. Arzin brought over a bottle of good wine and two glasses and poured some wine in each. Handing one over to Azras he held his up towards hers, “here is to new adventures.” Arzin said as Azras tapped her glass against his.

“Indeed, to new adventures.” She replied as she pressed the glass to her lips and took a sip closing her eyes for a moment.

“What’s wrong?” Her husband asked as he knew something was bothering her shifting on the couch to face her more.

“I don’t know, not sure if I am cut out for this position I been in space for as long as I can remember it’s going to be different being planetside, though Starbase Bravo is in orbit and there are some good restaurants there that I have heard about we can visit,” Azras replied as she took another sip.

“I know dear, but Starfleet Command must feel you’re the right person you have years of experience and knowledge thanks to the Dex symbiont.” Arzin replied with a shrug, “there is that, but hopefully it will be enough.” Azras added as she looked at him remembering all the previous hosts though one’s life was cut very short the other two lived a long life.

“Let’s not worry about it, let’s just take it one day at a time,” Arzin replied as he wondered if he could teach a science course there, but he would tackle that once they arrived and got settled. After they finished their drinks, they too turned in for the night.

• [Bravo Fleet Academy Campus, Mellstoxx III]
    [Academy Staff’s Apartment Complex]
    [Mission Day 7, 0600h]

The early morning sun started to shine through the window, after arriving on Mellstoxx III the previous day. Stretching she looked over to see her husband still sleeping, smiling she kissed him on the cheek and got out of bed. Walking to the window, she looked out at the sunrise which was a beautiful sight. Just as beautiful as the sunrise on Earth, she thought in her head that she could get used to this. After a few moments, she walked out of the bedroom into the living area.

They had spent most of their day yesterday settling in, their apartment was huge and had all the amenities more so than any starship or starbase for that matter. A full kitchen area, dining room, and living room. It also had three rooms one of which was an office for when she would work from home rather than go to her office. The other two rooms were bedrooms for her and her husband as well as one for her son.

Walking into the kitchen she decided she wanted to make some breakfast before she got ready. She started preparing breakfast when Arzin walked out of the bedroom and walked up behind her, placing his arms around her waist he kissed Azras neck gently. “Good morning beautiful,” Arzin said with a smile on his face. Azras smiled as she looked at him, “Morning.” Azras replied in return, “did you see the sunrise?” She asked as she went back to preparing breakfast.

“I did, it is just as beautiful as Earth’s sunrise if not more,” Arzin replied as he started to help his wife by setting the table. “Linha should be arriving today,” Arzin said with a smile. “We should do something special for her arrival, maybe go out to eat at one of the restaurants that I read about here.” He said as he set the plates on the table, one at each chair, the silverware as well as the cups.

“That would be a good idea, and it is good that she will be here,” Azras replied as she started cooking as they talked. “I have to go into the office today, there are a few meetings that I have to attend as well as meet with a few students that are about to graduate and move onto their assignments,” Azras replied as she looked over at him as he finished setting the table.

“That’s good dear,” Arzin replied as he walked back over to his wife as he began the coffee pot with fresh coffee to be brewed. He knew how much his wife enjoyed fresh coffee instead of the replicated kind. The smell of fresh coffee began to fill the air, she closed her eyes and smiled. “The smell of fresh brewing coffee smells heavenly,” Azras said as she finished up. Arzin then took the food and began to plate them up as Arzras walked to her son’s room and opened the door. “Yadri time to wake up, breakfast is ready plus you got to start school,” Azras said as her son stirred, moaning and groaning as he wasn’t really an early person. “Come on son,” she said as she nudged him a bit more until he sat up.

“Alright mom, I am up,” Yadri replied in protest as he stumbled out of the bedroom to the dining room.

Both Yadri and Arzin sat down at the table, Azras grabbed her cup of coffee that just finished brewing and sat down. “Linha should be here later on today Yadri, so we will be going to dinner tonight at one of the restaurants here,” Arzin said with a smile, Yadri got excited. “Yay!” He exclaimed as he smiled as big as could be. He and his sister have always been close, so when she went off to the academy it’s been hard on him not having his sister around to help him with his schoolwork.

“Though she will be living in the dormitories for the students she will visit often,” Azras added making sure he knew that she wouldn’t be living ‘with’ them, Yadri nodded “I understand mom.” He replied as he took a bit of his food while looking at his parents.

Bringing her cup of coffee up towards her mouth she took a deep breath in, the smell of the coffee caused her to smile for a moment before taking a sip. Setting the cup back down on the table she started to eat her breakfast and talk about their plans for the day.

After breakfast, Azrin cleared the table as Azras finished her cup of coffee. After finishing she went to get ready for the day, she knew that she would be busy for a good part of the day up until close to dinner. “Yadri, go get ready for school your classes start in an hour.” Arzin said as he looked at his son who nodded and headed off, things would be different for Yadri as he wouldn’t be going to actual ‘classes’ but will be doing them from home on his computer.

There would be some classes at the academy that they set up for some advanced training to get him a head start for when he joined the Academy in a couple of years, but that would be twice a week at most.

Azras walked back out after a few moments, dressed in her uniform her hair done in her usual bun to keep her hair out of her face. Plus, it was more professional that way, walking into her office as she needed to grab a couple of padds she needed to take with her which included all her meetings as well as other items of the day. Walking back into the living area she noticed Arzin cleaning which wasn’t unusual for him as he always liked to keep things clean, with everything in their place.

Walking up to him she kissed him, “Well wish me luck on my first day.” Azras said with a chuckle as she looked at him. After he returned her kiss he smiled, “you’ll be fantastic dear.” Arzin smiled looking at his lovely wife, “have a wonderful day see you this evening.” He added with a loving smile before Azras walked out of their apartment and headed to where her office was located as she needed to get some things done there as her first meeting didn’t start for another couple of hours.

• LeahLeah Member
    edited September 2020

[Conference Room / Office of the Dean of Cadets]
    [Bravo Fleet Academy Campus; Mellstoxx III]
    [Mission Day 7, 0800h]

Sitting in the conference room with her staff that consisted of instructors, the recruitment director as well as her assistant. She was looking over the data of this year’s graduates that will be graduating at the end of the year and moving onto their first assignments.

Looking up, “so you're telling me these are the only cadets set to graduate this year?” She asked looking at her staff wondering why they were so low compared to the years following.

“Yes, Captain.” Commander Thomas Smith the recruitment director responded before continuing. “It seems that it was not a good year for recruits, especially ones that were sent from San Fransisco Academy to here for their schooling.” He added looking at her for a moment in pause.

“We had a few dropouts and one expulsion.” Cindy Nog her assistant chimed in handing her another padd with that information on it.

Taking it she looked it over, “interesting.”

Some of the instructors looked at each other as Azras looked over the information on the dropouts as well as the expulsion. After a while, she looked up, “now I would like to know how the cadets are doing in each of your classes.” Azras asked as each one gave their report.

After each one finished their report she looked at them, “very well seems things are in order. I would like all Senior Grade Cadets to report to the Parade Field this afternoon after classes have finished.” She said looking at Cindy to get the memo out to the Cadets in question.

“Understood, will get that sent out to the Cadets sir,” Cindy replied looking at Azras as she tapped a few buttons on her padd to make note of it so she can complete the task when she got back to her desk.

“Dismissed,” she stated as they all got up and headed out of the conference room. Some of the instructors began talking amongst themselves as they left while others just quietly left and headed back towards there classrooms as classes were due to start soon.

Azras sat there for a while as the others left, finally, after a few moments, she rose from the chair grabbing the padds that were on the table and headed out of the Conference Room. Walking down the corridor towards her office.

After a short walk, she arrived after she noticed that Cindy had arrived at her desk moments before she did. “Communications has been sent to the Cadets,” Cindy replied as Azras nodded before entering her office.

Setting the padds down on her desk, walking over to the replicator she ordered herself a coffee before setting down at her desk to start work. She looked around, this was a huge responsibility being in charge of all the Cadets and their road to graduating.

Taking a sip she set the cup on the table and began filing reports as well as writing her speech she planned on giving the Cadets at their meeting this afternoon.

Cindy walked into her office, “Captain you have an incoming transmission from the Dean of Cadets at the San Fransisco Academy on Earth.” Cindy said looking at her, “very well patch him through.” Azras said as Cindy disappeared and her computer screen beeped.

Turning it on she looked at the older gentleman from the other end, “what do I owe this pleasure Commodore?” she asked with a smile on her face.

“Good Morning Captain Dex, I will try to make this brief as I know you're probably busy getting settled in and such.” Commodore James Sinclare said with a genuine smile before continuing. “A ship should arrive in a few days with new cadets that are being transferred to your location,” James replied with a pause before he continued.

“Some are just starting while others will be graduating next year as well as some this year. I have sent their files to you for review,” he finished just as her computer beeped notifying her that the files have been sent.

“I just received them, I will look them over and when they arrive I’ll greet them personally.” Azras replied in return, “wonderful.” James said, “that’s all I really had at this time, I’ll let you get back to what you were doing Captain.”

A few moments later her computer screen returned to her normal screen, she opened up the files and began to read each one. She would spend the next few hours working in her office, making sure things were in order before lunch.

• LeahLeah Member
    edited December 2020

[Dean of Cadet’s Office]
    [Bravo Fleet Academy Campus, Mellstoxx III]
    [Mission Day 8, 0800h

The day before had been a long day, between meetings both with staff and cadets, to welcoming her daughter who had just been transferred to Bravo Fleet Academy Campus from Starfleet Academy on Earth. They had a nice dinner together that night in celebration.

This morning she had gotten up early and gotten ready, her husband was still sleeping at the time. She had arrived at her office in the administrative building, “good morning sir.”  Cindy replied from her desk near the entrance to her office, “here are your morning reports as well as your morning coffee just the way you like it, sir,” she replied with a smile as she handed Azras a padd and a cup.

“Thank you, Cindy,” she replied taking the padd and the coffee and headed into her office. Setting the cup and padd on her desk, she walked over to the window and opened up the shades just slightly, it showed a nice view of the west side of the campus that had a bit of a gap between buildings. It was a beautiful day, she even opened the window just enough to let a cool natural breeze flow through.

After a moment she walked back to her desk and sat down, the smell of the freshly brewed coffee not replicated made her smile. She has only been here a few days and already her assistant knew what she liked and how she liked it. Taking a sip, savoring the taste before setting the cup back down, she picked up the padd and began her morning routine of reading over reports, transfers, meetings as well as other things.

She noticed that there was a new staff arrival, a personnel officer assigned to assist the cadets which would free up some of her needed time to focus on other things. She tapped a button on her desk, “Cindy could you please come into my office.”

A few moments later Cindy walked in, “Sir?” she asked wondering what she wanted, though she had a feeling but rather not jump the gun. “When is the new staff arrival suppose to arrive?” Azras asked as she took another sip of her coffee, “she should be here already she was on one of the transports that arrived yesterday sir.” Cindy replied looking at her.

“Have her report to my office as soon as possible, would like to have a meeting with her.” Azras replied as she looked at her for a moment, “aye sir.” Cindy replied as she walked out and sent the message. Azras, in the meantime, began to read her file while she waited for her to arrive.

Lieutenant Commander Jana Dixon was glad that she had a good night’s sleep the night before.  Going to new assignments was always nerve-racking but for Jana, it was the first new assignment in the time since the accident that changed her life.  There was no need to dwell on the past though.  Her spirits would help to guide her psychologically.  Physically was a different matter though as she was still getting used to the bionic limbs that she had to attach every day in order to stay in Starfleet.

Sitting in the promenade, she was just finishing up with her hearty breakfast while reading a PADD that was containing her new responsibilities here at Starbase Bravo.  Here she was... at mostly a desk job for now… or at least she thought it would be.  Hopefully when the call would come to meet the Captain that a lot of her questions would be answered.  She did not have to wait long before that call would come through her comm badge.  =^= Commander Dixon, please report to Captain Dex’s office.=^=  The call came through as Jana tapped her comm badge right away.

“I am on my way,”  Jana replied back as she let out a soft sigh as the channel was closed automatically.  “Spirits?  Please help to guide me to a good first impression.”  She asked, raising her head up as if to look at the ceiling.  Locking her bionic leg in a straight position, she slowly raised herself up off of the chair and started to walk towards the Captain’s office.  If anyone would see her walking, they would see a very noticeable limp coming from Jana.

It took her nearly five minutes to reach the outside of the Captain’s office as she felt nearly exhausted.  Staying outside of the waiting room, Jana took many deep breaths as she was trying to recompose herself.  Using her good arm, she held herself up against the wall as she finally caught her breath again.  Standing straight up again, she tucked down her shirt and took one last deep breath before walking into the meeting room.  

Jana was met by a young woman sitting at a desk.  She could not tell what rank the woman was as the pips were a little too far away for her to make out.  By the looks of things, she presumed that this young woman was the Captain’s secretary.  

Cindy looked up at Jana and let out a small smile.  “Commander Dixon, I presume?”  The young woman asked.

“Yes.  I am here to see the Captain.”  She confirmed as she still stayed standing up.

“I will alert the Captain.”  The young woman replied back as she did just that.

Jana felt a little nervous as she awaited the confirmation for her to enter the Captain’s office.  What would the Captain be like?  Stern and hard on her people under the command or more down to earth and a people person?  Those thoughts ran through her mind while she waited for the proper command to enter.

Azras had just finished reading the service record when she got notified that she had arrived and was waiting in the waiting area. “Cindy you can send her in,” she replied over the comm. “Commander you may go in, first door on the left,” Cindy replied as she looked up from her computer at the woman.

Jana nodded softly as she limped in towards the door that Cindy directed her towards.  Taking a deep breath, she saw the doors opening up automatically.  Her limp stayed noticeable as her right legs still looked like it was locked into a straight position.  Her left arm was somewhat flowing but mostly locked in as well.  Standing just in front of the Captain’s desk, she made the announcement.  “Commander Dixon reporting as ordered… Do I call you Sir or Ma’am?”  She asked, not sure what the proper protocol is when a woman is her superior.  Some women preferred to be called Ma’am while others preferred to be called Sir.  Asking the question seemed to be the proper response in her mind.

She looked at her for a moment at the direct question as it threw her off as she never personally been asked that question before. “Sir is fine but you can call me Azras.” She responded with a smile, “no need to be so formal in this kind of setting.” she replied as she offered her a seat in the empty chair behind her. “So, tell me about yourself, Commander,” she asked. 

Jana took a little bit of time to compose herself and try to answer the question to the best of her ability.  Taking a deep breath, she finally responded with her beginnings.  “Well… I was born in a long line of Ohlone Indians.  I am the ninth generation of my tribe and I try my best to keep with the traditions that my tribe has.  For the most part, those traditions were lost as I felt that my traditions were driven back by Starfleet.  It was as if my people did not exist as we were persecuted and driven into the underground.  I have my views of how my people can gain more respect but for now, My Indian ancestors drive us to be the best that we can be.  It may not work out the way we want to be but… We know how to influence things.”   She finished with a small wink as she looked back at Azras.  “For me, I will perform my duties to the best of my abilities… even if I have to deal with these temporary limbs on my arm and leg.  I know that my limbs can be replicated but… I leave all of that to my visions and my gods.  If it happens, it is a miracle but if not… then it is how we deal with life.”

Taking a small breath, she looked back at Azras as she was still serious and tying everything together. 

“Yes, there have been efforts by Starfleet Medical to give me clones of my right arm and my left leg after my accident on the Melbourne-A… but it was taking months to replicate my limbs.  I want to be in the action and I want to contribute, no matter how I do it.  If I can’t do what I want to do physically… then I want to be able to let the next generation of Cadets shine in their own ways.  Me?  I want to guide these cadets to their full potential”  She looked up towards Azras with a gleaming eye. “Is that not our mission, Sir?”  She asked as her left hand reached out towards Azras while her right arm remained straight down as if it was not going to move no matter what.

She looked at her as she listened to what she had to say, “yes you will be dealing with the cadets more on a direct basis so I can focus on the administrative part of it.” She replied, “you will also report to me on anything, from changes in major, any classes that have been dropped, picked up, anyone failing, etc.” She replied looking at her as she adjusted in her seat for a moment. 

Seeing Azras adjusting herself in her seat, Jana nodded softly.  “I see, Sir.  What about Cadets that need some direction.  Would I be doing that as well?”  Jana asked while still in the meeting.

She looked at her for a moment, “yes all of that.” Azras replied before she was interrupted by Cindy her secretary. “Sorry to disturb you sir but you have a priority one message from Starfleet Command. They want to speak to you right away sir,” Cindy replied over the comm. Azras sighed, “very well patch it through to my office.” Azras replied before ending the communication and turning to Jana.

“That was impeccable timing, I do apologize but I have to take this. I’ll let you get started your office is down the hall to your right. You have access to all needed files on the cadets. I’ll try to get with you again this afternoon.” Azras replied before looking at her as the communications were waiting for her pick up.

“Thank you, Sir.  I will check on the files when I get settled in there.  Hope to see you later, Sir.”  Jana replied back.  She did not need to wait for the command to be dismissed as knew the message was very important already.  She turned around and walked with a very noticeable limp out of Azras’ office.  Just down the corridor, she passed by two offices before seeing the one with her name on it outside of the door.  “They don’t mess around here, do they?”  She whispered to herself as she pressed the button which took her fingerprints for unlocking the door later on.  

Inside the office was a small desk with a table near the front door.  She assumed that the table was meant to meet with cadets one on one.  Making her way to the spartan chair, she sat down on it while her right leg made a huge clicking sound that unlocked her knee.  Pressing a few buttons on the console in front of her with her right hand, she let out a huge sigh.  “OK Cadets, Let’s see what you are all about.”  She said to herself as she started her work.

Azras turned on the computer screen after Jana left, “Sorry to keep you waiting was in a meeting.” Azras replied before she continued, “how can I help you, Admiral?” She asked looking at him through the screen. 

“I am sorry to be the one to tell you, I know you just got settled but you’re being reassigned.” He replied looking at her, Azras sighed and it was very noticeable. “Again?” she asked looking at him almost frustrated, but at the same time, she should have come to expect it especially being a Starfleet officer.

“Yes, your being assigned to Devron Fleet Yards in the old Romulan Neutral Zone as Task Force 93’s Commanding Officer.” The Admiral replied as he took a sip of his coffee and readjusted in his chair.

She raised an eyebrow, she was going to say something but decided against it. “Understood,” is all that came in form of a response. “You are to report there as soon as possible.” He added before the communications came to a close, sighing as she sat back against her chair. What would her husband and son think, she knew her son would be upset as he was finally going to be closer to his sister. She would spend awhile deep in thought before she would go talk to her family about the reassignment.

Joint Mission Post By:

Captain Azras Dex

&

Lieutenant Commander Jana Dixon